Originally Posted By: rigid54
Seems an appropriate spot to jump back on...round about a hundred years ago I was sitting chewing the fat with Rhett -talking vintage Randall's and such. The subject of a particular sheath came up. The sheath in question had the Randall stamp and for all intents & purposes appeared to be an early MJ sheath. However, close inspection (is there any other) revealed some interesting period differences. Once noted, hard to not see.

It was determined, by all present, that the sheath was made by one Clayton Howard. That the Randall's located a local (?) leather worker in the Orlando area prior to or concurrent with, MJ is difficult to ascertain. Howard was from Michigan (if memory serves), home of another beloved and a location not strange to Bo. Whether Howard migrated to Orlando due to the Harness industry or produced the sheaths up north may be lost in the detritus of time. The sheaths were high quality, had particular attributes and were stamped with the Randall stamp.

I contend, the sheaths ya'll are attributing to Heiser, due to the quality of workmanship, are in fact, sheaths made by Clayton Howard. It is also my contention that when the Randall's located a solid, local maker -their needs were met and came the end of the brief relationship with Howard.

Recon there's a bit more to it but that should be enough scent to get ya'll on the trail. Happy hunting!

Great supposition and theory, but unfortunately it is not true. The elements of your post highlighted in red above are the open ended portions that require further clarification. That is of course if you want your participation taken seriously.

The sheaths in question are in fact most probably Heiser-Keyston-Lichtenberger sheaths. There is NO other sheath maker of merit during Bo's search for a local sheath maker and prior to the participation of Maurice Johnson.

I think some folks are of the opinion that Bo was out beating the streets every day in his "search". I do not think that is the case and it was more of an informal undertaking with several folks submitting samples over a period of time. You have to remember, it is not enough to have the skill alone to make the sheaths, but to also have the capability to make the quantities required and the desire to do so.

While we all loved Rhett, he was a knife purveyor, not a Randall historian. He would acknowledge that without hesitation.

BUY-SELL-TRADE