Randall Knife Collectors Club Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146995 - 08/09/16 10:25 AM Re: How many knives has TW Leschorn done? * [Re: JE6245]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
Thanks, Jim. I recently mentioned that if you do good things for Randall, it comes back to you in spades. That Leschorn is the ace of that suit in my book.

#147008 - 08/09/16 12:06 PM Re: How many knives has TW Leschorn done? [Re: BoBlade]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tallahassee FL
Randall Karma is a good thing.

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Me 2020

#147012 - 08/09/16 12:26 PM Re: How many knives has TW Leschorn done? [Re: JE6245]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

this is from the photo gallery and brought it over here to help answer the OP's question.

Originally Posted By: Tattoo Bill
Thank you everyone.

From other printed sources, Tom began working on knives for Bo in 63/64 after finding out about their use of Ivory and Ebony as a handle material. That first knife consigned by Bo was a Model 3.

Also stated that as of 1991, (when Tom retired from the art because of illness) about 218 finished knives had been delivered, including approx. 70 that went directly to the Gary Randall, and the rest directly to customers. (Gary still has about 20 of these in the museum)

Is that total in print? Does it reference only signed pieces? Curious because I have had more than a few as have others, that were Tom's work that were not signed. Many of them the only discerning characteristics were spacer stack, handle type and maybe shape, and of course his propensity to pin buttcaps.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#147013 - 08/09/16 12:27 PM Re: How many knives has TW Leschorn done? [Re: crutchtip]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

this is from the photo gallery and brought it over here to help answer the OP's question.

Originally Posted By: Tattoo Bill
Thank you everyone.

From other printed sources, Tom began working on knives for Bo in 63/64 after finding out about their use of Ivory and Ebony as a handle material. That first knife consigned by Bo was a Model 3.

Also stated that as of 1991, (when Tom retired from the art because of illness) about 218 finished knives had been delivered, including approx. 70 that went directly to the Gary Randall, and the rest directly to customers. (Gary still has about 20 of these in the museum)

Is that total in print somewhere? Does it reference only signed pieces? Curious because I have had more than a few as have others, that were Tom's work that were not signed. Many of them the only discerning characteristics were spacer stack, handle type and maybe shape, and of course his propensity to pin buttcaps.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#147091 - 08/09/16 10:07 PM Re: How many knives has TW Leschorn done? [Re: BoBlade]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I can't say 100%, but it sure looks,like the one I saw... low "S" ... doesn't matter either way. Still a great knife, especially if you're fond of 3s !

#147093 - 08/09/16 10:11 PM Re: How many knives has TW Leschorn done? [Re: Wally]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
There was a 12-6 LBB floating around at Blade. I looked at it, the guy was seeling offers. He did not seem all that motivated.

#147095 - 08/09/16 10:15 PM Re: How many knives has TW Leschorn done? [Re: tunefink]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Then that's the one I remember, I think I walked him to your table? It was a low "S", too.

#147096 - 08/09/16 10:17 PM Re: How many knives has TW Leschorn done? [Re: Wally]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Copy that Wally. It was a nice piece, but he was not all that interested in selling.

#147112 - 08/09/16 11:14 PM Re: How many knives has TW Leschorn done? [Re: tunefink]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

after some research it seems it was Beaucant that came up with the number Tattoo Bill stated.

I don't know how accurate that is but no one seems to really know for sure. It would be interesting to know how Beaucant came up with that number. Perhaps he says so in one of his books.

I am just wondering as I stated previously is if that number represents his total number of knives he did or the carved and engraved (decorated) as Beaucant calls them.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#147134 - 08/10/16 07:54 AM Re: How many knives has TW Leschorn done? [Re: crutchtip]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
Beaucant wrote an article in Knives Illustrated after Mr. Leschorn passed in the fall of 1992. In that article he stated "At this time about 218 Randall Knives have been decorated with the art of Tom Leschorn, including knives engraved and carved for Randall's business, knives which were subsequently sold to their customers".

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod