Actually...I disagree with, both, Wally & James! I use a compass in the butt of my Randalls "all the time", especially in the woods or in an elevated shooting house, ladder stand, climbing stand or tripod. I'll explain...
When I am scouting around my 6,000 acres that I hunt on, I am often looking for a new location to, either move a stand to...or put up a new one. Being as there are a couple of "absolutes" about doing this, I use my compass to aid me.
1) Direction the sun will rise or set. (Don't want it dead-ass in your eyes during "BOTH" prime hunting times!
2) Wind direction. Being as I hunt in the winter, the wind streams "mostly" (not all the time) from the NE...N...or NW. Using my compass I can eliminate these possible problems..."before" I go through all the work of putting up my stand!
Also: When I bow hunt I use my compass for another reason most wouldn't think of. If I'm lucky enough to stick one...and the deer (or hog) runs off, I try to do my damndest to take note of the exact point the critter leaves the field...or clearing...or shooting lane. I then take a compass reading..."before" I get down out of my stand. I gather up all my tracking "stuff" and walk, directly on that compass heading to the edge of the woods. You'd be amazed at how much time this can save, when looking for that "1st blood"!
OK: That answers my beef with Wally. Now to you, Ram-man. Thuya Burl is a nice, dense, highly-figured exotic wood. Installing "not-a-thing" on the butt end of the knife, shows the natural grain from the perspective that I would use in picking pieces to buy and install in the 1st place...the "end"! Anybody can choose the right piece of wood..."if"...they observe it from all angles!
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: Sorry to all for over-looking the teeth on the option list...CCS
PPS: Below examples of nice wood...at the butt end of a Randall knife...CC

Attachments
------Website (51).jpg

------Stansp-musk ox-C.JPG

------#12-6-SPRT-WA-H.JPG

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (08/14/16 02:05 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com