Originally Posted By: gratefuljed
Thanks Shelley. I know I'm a noob but to answer Lytridis's questions I'd have to dig deep. I was thinking all knives needed to be hair splitting sharp! For the price of a couple of knives I might just go with the edge pro (their video was pretty good) and sharpen every piece of steel I can. Honestly, it's either learn that or learn doing something with an old Toyota sewing machine as I head towards the sixties..! Thanks all for your input.

No, not all knives have to be "hair splitting sharp" (love the image smile ) It depend of what u are going to do with. And razor sharp will not stay long! To be honest, even when I was using a straight razor for shaving it wasn't rare that I have to re-sharp it in the middle of the work. I will say it depend of the precision needed. If the blade is to be used to prepare meat, game, skinning, Ok. If the blade is to be used for hard task like a machete or a hatchet: NO. It can even be very dangerous. To give u an idea, I have a billhook that I have never sharpen and that I use a lot in the garden or with the wood. It works perfectly. The best test for a correct edge is (for me) the paper page cutting test. If The blade cut 2 or 3 pages without problem, it's excellent. To reach such an edge, I look at the steel. If it is stainless, I use a diamond sharpener ( DMT ). If it is O1 or high carbon, I like the white arkansas water stone. In the field, I use a small xtra fine diamond sharpener. The secret is: Always the same angle and slowly done. The capt is using a pencil sharpener on the stanaback special, I have never used but if the capt is using it, I'm sure it is an excellent way.
Regards