Nifeboy.com Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174492 - 09/20/18 04:58 AM Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps?
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
This is a very clear stamp and I was wondering why not every Randall can have a stamp like this?

Attachments
------Randall with clear stamp..jpg

#174493 - 09/20/18 07:28 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

HANDMADE

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#174494 - 09/20/18 08:17 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: crutchtip]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

That doesn't explain it at all, because I almost never see this stamp on new knives. It is something special and the other 99,99% (if not more) of the new Randall's I see for sale, have the regular deep black stamp. No, I believe there is more to it than HANDMADE.

Edited by Sphinx3000 (09/20/18 08:19 AM)

#174496 - 09/20/18 08:39 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Maybe the guy who normally stamps the Randall name on the blade, has the power of a gorilla, and when he has day off, Mindy (or Valerie in the past) takes his job over laugh

Edited by Sphinx3000 (09/20/18 08:44 AM)

#174497 - 09/20/18 08:40 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
3000, My understanding is that each RMK made is little different, why would each stamping be any different? Personal preference applied it would be a great opportunity to collect perfectly stamped RMK's. Good Luck.

#174498 - 09/20/18 08:51 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Eric]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I love the knives and the stamp is only a small part of it, but if I had the choice, I would pick the clear stamp in the picture.
But it almost looks like a completely different stamp and there most be a reason for that. If it was only a question of one worker hitting the stamp harder than his coworker, there must be far more of the "clear" stamp on the market. This is the first of the RECENT made knives that I see with this kind of stamp. I look often on the sites of the dealers.

The older knives had a lot more of the "clear" stamps?

Edited by Sphinx3000 (09/20/18 09:58 AM)

#174500 - 09/20/18 09:02 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Here is a side by side comparison. When you zoom in and look closely at the position of the letters, it looks like different stamps were used. The letters seem to be different placed and more in line in the top stamp.

Attachments
------Randall with clear stamp..jpg

------Randall regular stamp..jpg

Edited by Sphinx3000 (09/20/18 09:06 AM)

#174502 - 09/20/18 09:34 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I could very well be wrong about the use of different stamps?
It could also look this way, because of the letters being thicker and darker in the second knife.

Maybe it has something to do with the temperature and the hardness of the steel, at the moment of putting the stamp on the blade?
Causing movement when the steel is a little softer and more penetration of the stamp, and because of that thicker/deeper and a little out of line letters than the above stamp?

Anyway, all speculation! But I am curios what the reason is.

Edited by Sphinx3000 (09/20/18 09:41 AM)

#174503 - 09/20/18 11:07 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
Clearly the bottom stamp is deeper.

Could be a lighter strike on the top knife.

Could be more material was removed (top knife) after stamping.

Could be the stamp has been used quite a bit and is showing signs of wear.

#174504 - 09/20/18 11:39 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Windsor]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The stamp is struck long before final finishing. Polishing different grinds, different forgings, etc... results in different results. In the end, it is due to the fact that they're all a little different. Because they're handmade.

#174507 - 09/20/18 12:13 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Wally]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

HANDMADE

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#174508 - 09/20/18 12:39 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: crutchtip]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

You mean Randall's are not mass produced like Buck knives?
laugh

#174509 - 09/20/18 12:50 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

no, but you keep asking the same question and appear to be looking for some "mystery" reason logo stamps are often different from knife to knife.

The answer is simple: HANDMADE

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#174510 - 09/20/18 12:58 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: crutchtip]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Not a "mystery" reason, just the reason. Because they are handmade I still can wonder about something like this. Maybe Scott or somebody else can explain why the stamps are different.

You think that the guys who work in the Randall shop, don't have a clue why the stamps are different? That it is a mystery to them and all they can answer is HANDMADE. Give me a break...

#174511 - 09/20/18 01:08 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

give you a break? The knives are handmade to include the stamp strike, forging, grind lines, final polish, final hilt shape, final handle shape, etc., etc.

That is why. It seems you are looking for machine type characteristics like the buck knives you used as an example.

Wally pretty much summed it up 4-5 post back:

Originally Posted By: Wally
The stamp is struck long before final finishing. Polishing different grinds, different forgings, etc... results in different results. In the end, it is due to the fact that they're all a little different. Because they're handmade.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#174512 - 09/20/18 01:27 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: crutchtip]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
I read somewhere that several stamps are used at the same time. For example, we have 10 stamps, each stamp has its own small differences from the beginning + there is some wear + a different force of blows from each smith (for example, for every smith 3 the force of impact (morning, afternoon, evening)) + the effect of subsequent processing (also we allow 3 variants of the difference). In total we have 90 variations end stamp. This is all a mental example and on the real business it can be more variations (and I think surely more) smile

#174513 - 09/20/18 01:38 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: desert.snake]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
How often did etching the logo happen? What were the circumstances? Are some blades etched today? Thanks.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#174515 - 09/20/18 01:47 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: desert.snake]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

@ desert.snake
Sounds like that could be it, I find that interesting!

@crutchtip, this is the kind of answer I am looking for.

#174516 - 09/20/18 01:53 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

@pappy I was just reading about etched logo's.
I believe it is not allowed to place a link to another forum, but if you google "Difference in stamps on Randall knives" it will direct you to a link(s) with info. I have to read it myself also, I didn't knew Randall used or uses? etched logo's.

#174518 - 09/20/18 02:04 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

#174521 - 09/20/18 04:14 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Spring Hill, Florida
If you don't want to be badgered on here, buy yourself a copy of Pete Hamilton's reference book, "The Randall Chronicles" and turn to pages 18-19. There you will see the stamping process. Nobody swings a hammer harder than the next. These knifes are not THAT handmade! lol
ta2bill@yahoo.com

#174522 - 09/20/18 04:35 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Tattoo Bill]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yes, the stamp is "pressed" by machine. There are still different stamps used at different times, with different wear patterns, etc. The polishing, grinding, final finishing (all done by hand) all has effects on the appearance of the stamp. Many years ago, they were struck by hammer blow, hence the partial strikes, double stikes, etc. you may find on vintage knives.

#174525 - 09/20/18 05:23 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Wally]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tallahassee FL
There's a fairly significant difference between the stamps on the two knives shown. Looks to me to be more than just strength of striking or different finishing. The first knife does almost look like an etched stamp to me but I am too lazy to go find examples of etched logos to compare. I assume since none of the more knowledgeable folks on here have suggested that it is etched that it's not the case. And, I feel your pain Sphinx -- cryptic answers are not particularly helpful when you're trying to learn. That's all I have to say about that.

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Me 2020

#174526 - 09/20/18 05:38 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: JE6245]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I beleive the two knives were struck with the same stamp. The position of the stamp is different, so the grinding, polishing, finishing, perhaps even the temperature of the blade when struck, make the two look different, even though, as I said, I believe they are done with the same stamp.

#174527 - 09/20/18 06:30 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Wally]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
OK,
Here's (perhaps) what you're looking for, Pyramid..(Sorry: Sphinx).
Randall strikes about 100 pieces of blade stock at one time.
Per Scott: "No 2" pieces are exactly the same dimension. When the blades are ground a mic is used and some blades require more to be removed than others...hence, some are lighter, due to more metal being removed than the ones that appear "deep-struck". So, for my money, I'd rather have a deep struck blade. It could be (actually) stronger??
Sphynx (spelling?): Some of the "other forum" posts you are speaking about, I think, are more leading towards different stamps for different "eras". That is not what I am addressing. Perhaps Scott can pipe up later..."butt"...(There's that word again, folks)...the shop has been slammed and I told him I would attempt to explain, albeit...non-minutia...hope this helps.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: Wally & Crutch get points for (jointly) coming up with the best results. (No $$$, mind you...just points)!
CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#174529 - 09/20/18 07:10 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pap, I think etching took place when an original stamp was polished too "far out" to be acceptable. It was also done to all soligen(sic?) blades. I also think, and hope someone can verify, that etching is all but a thing of the past.

#174530 - 09/20/18 07:16 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
OK,
Here's (perhaps) what you're looking for, Pyramid..(Sorry: Sphinx).
Randall strikes about 100 pieces of blade stock at one time.
Per Scott: "No 2" pieces are exactly the same dimension. When the blades are ground a mic is used and some blades require more to be removed than others...hence, some are lighter, due to more metal being removed than the ones that appear "deep-struck". So, for my money, I'd rather have a deep struck blade. It could be (actually) stronger??
Sphynx (spelling?): Some of the "other forum" posts you are speaking about, I think, are more leading towards different stamps for different "eras". That is not what I am addressing. Perhaps Scott can pipe up later..."butt"...(There's that word again, folks)...the shop has been slammed and I told him I would attempt to explain, albeit...non-minutia...hope this helps.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: Wally & Crutch get points for (jointly) coming up with the best results. (No $$$, mind you...just points)!
CCS

This response looks "suspiciously" like it would seem that Crutch was sorta almost semi right, when he pointed out the elusive fact of..... HANDMADE...

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#174531 - 09/20/18 07:18 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thank you fellow forum members for the explanation and the tips, I appropriate it! I was wondering and thought I ask the question here, because I am interested in every expect of Randall Made Knives.

I also hope that crutchtip learned, that not every little aspect of our beloved Randall is 100% HANDMADE (because of the stamping MACHINE, not that it matters) No need to apologize crutchtip. I forgive you, for your ignorance young grasshopper!

crutchtip, before you get mad, this is called a JOKE, LOL
If you do get mad, I have a handmade finger sign for you laugh

#174532 - 09/20/18 07:24 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I guarantee Crutch knows how the blades are struck. At least the trademark isn't "chiseled in" one at a time! I bet also, that most "machine made" knives have their logo rolled or pantographed on after they are finished.

#174533 - 09/20/18 07:46 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Wally]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

If he knows, and perhaps he does? Why give such short HANDMADE answers.
Be nice and explain a little to somebody who wants to learn a little about the process. Oh well, not everybody is the same I guess, were all HANDMADE...

#174535 - 09/20/18 07:53 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: crutchtip]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Sorry Wally, but if I read this Quote of him, he doesn't know exactly how the blades are struck...

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
give you a break? The knives are handmade to include the stamp strike, forging, grind lines, final polish, final hilt shape, final handle shape, etc., etc.

That is why. It seems you are looking for machine type characteristics like the buck knives you used as an example.

Wally pretty much summed it up 4-5 post back:

Originally Posted By: Wally

#174536 - 09/20/18 07:58 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Wally]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: central fl.
Alright, I'll see if can elaborate a bit...

When we order and receive the bar stock steel, they hardly ever arrive all EXACTLY the same size....after forging and shaping, the blades are mic'd according to thickness and separated accordingly, the machine we use to stamp the blades DOES have to be set up by "HAND AND EYE" for each and every model... don't tell me that this doesn't constitute HANDMADE...as we set up for the blades to be stamped the forgemen set the depth by HAND AND EYE and although we try and reach a happy mediium that will give each and every knife a good stamp...some may be a bit deeper, some may be a bit shallower, but we do, as Cap stated stamp around 100 knives in a batch....and then add the process of final shaping, final grinding, sanding, and 3-4 polishes and we are left with what we believe will be the same good readable stamp.

Thanks to all who covered this subject so well, especially Crutch who I believe stated just as I did...with just a fewer words...

Scott
RKS #014

HE IS RISEN!, HE IS RISEN INDEED!

#174537 - 09/20/18 08:02 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Dirty_Water]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Crutch has forgotten more about RMK's then most people will ever know. He also happens to have the full support of the shop. For what it's worth to those that DON'T KNOW....

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#174538 - 09/20/18 08:19 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Dirty_Water]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks for your answer Scott!

Crutch could have given an normal answer, but chose to leave it at HANDMADE. Is it so much trouble for him to give a little more explanation? And if he doesn't want to do that, don't comment at all.He said that there was no machine involved, so he was wrong.

#174539 - 09/20/18 08:22 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

That doesn't mean that I consider Randall made Knives as not being 100% handmade, because I do!

#174540 - 09/20/18 08:26 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: RamKingJC]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: RamKingJC
Crutch has forgotten more about RMK's then most people will ever know. He also happens to have the full support of the shop. For what it's worth to those that DON'T KNOW....

If he knows so much and is on a forum, share your knowledge to people who want to learn. That is normally what a forum is for.

#174541 - 09/20/18 08:30 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: RamKingJC]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

He also happens to have the full support of the shop. For what it's worth to those that DON'T KNOW.... [/quote]

What the hell has that got to do with it. So if you have the shop behind you, you are always wright, LOL

#174542 - 09/20/18 08:43 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

There are anywheres between 5-10 steps to be done by hand to set up each batch of blades to be stamped BEFORE we put a foot to pedal as we hand hold each and every blade still and even enough to get a smooth and straight stamp...we use grinders to hand grind the blades or does using a grinder also not constitute a handmade step? This is a silly argument just because Crutch was so curt...that's just how he is, don't take it so personally and let's all move the conversations away from any more biting comments please....

Scott
RKS #014

#174543 - 09/20/18 09:05 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Dirty_Water]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

If you want to stop the discussion, why ask me another question witch ads more fuel to the fire? "we use grinders to hand grind the blades or does using a grinder also not constitute a handmade step?"

If crutch is curt, that is not my problem but his. And he can get the reaction I find appropriate. That is the way I am. Apart from that, I am willing to move on.

#174544 - 09/20/18 09:27 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I don't wish to stop the discussion...just the biting comments by ALL...everyone here knows I'm just a peacekeeper!

Scott
RKS #014

#174545 - 09/20/18 09:36 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Sphinx3000

I also hope that crutchtip learned, that not every little aspect of our beloved Randall is 100% HANDMADE (because of the stamping MACHINE, not that it matters) No need to apologize crutchtip. I forgive you, for your ignorance young grasshopper!

crutchtip, before you get mad, this is called a JOKE, LOL
If you do get mad, I have a handmade finger sign for you laugh

Sorry bro, although a hammer machine is used to save a mans arm, it is still controlled by hand. Some are hard strikes, some are light strikes, some are not perfectly lined up, some are forward toward the tip, some are rearward towards the the hilt. The bottom line is, they are still HANDMADE.

Crutch could have given an normal answer, but chose to leave it at HANDMADE. Is it so much trouble for him to give a little more explanation? And if he doesn't want to do that, don't comment at all.He said that there was no machine involved, so he was wrong.

I never said there wasn't a "machine involved", that was your incorrect interpretation of what I did say, HANDMADE. There are also other machines involved in the HANDMADE aspect to include, grinding wheels, and polishing wheels. Welder for stainless hilts. Power hammer? There may be more but too tired for this.

Curt isn't the term, direct and simple are a bit closer to what I said.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#174546 - 09/20/18 09:40 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Dirty_Water]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

That's a good thing, being a peacekeeper!
I have learned why the stamps are different, so I am at peace!

#174548 - 09/20/18 09:43 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Dirty_Water]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

That's a good thing, being a peacekeeper!
I have learned why the stamps are different, so I am at peace!

#174549 - 09/20/18 09:45 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
thevalueman Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
did somebody say
"handmade".....

:-)Rocky
RKCC#25

#174550 - 09/20/18 09:52 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

This is what you said:

"The knives are handmade to include the stamp strike"

I think most people see a guy wit a hammer in there mind when they read this. But I am not arguing the fact that Randall's are hand made. I just suspected that there was more to stamping a blade than the man with the hammer, and there is. Now I know the process and that is all I wanted.

Edited by Sphinx3000 (09/20/18 09:53 PM)

#174551 - 09/20/18 09:53 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: thevalueman]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: thevalueman
did somebody say
"handmade".....

:-)Rocky
LOL

#174552 - 09/20/18 10:00 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Here's a nice clean stamp, about 55 years old.

#174553 - 09/20/18 10:12 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

This is what you said:

"The knives are handmade to include the stamp strike"

I think most people see a guy wit a hammer in there mind when they read this. But I am not arguing the fact that Randall's are hand made. I just suspected that there was more to stamping a blade than the man with the hammer, and there is. Now I know the process and that is all I wanted.

They were done with a man swinging a hammer years ago, but it wasn't very efficient nor as consistent as it is now with the power hammer. With the volume of knives Randall Made produces, every little bit helps to streamline production.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#174554 - 09/20/18 10:15 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Wally]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Nice stamp! The older ones seem to have more often perfect stamps.
Here is one from 1978:

That is why I thought that there are different stamps or methods.

Attachments
------Randall blade stamp.jpg

Edited by Sphinx3000 (09/20/18 10:16 PM)

#174555 - 09/20/18 10:22 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I wish I bought this one from the Captain. Also an older one with a perfect stamp:

As the Captain puts it: * Perfect blade stamp!

Attachments
------Randall Captain.jpg

Edited by Sphinx3000 (09/20/18 10:23 PM)

#174556 - 09/20/18 10:51 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Some of the best Randall knives ever made had feint, half visible, irregular, upside down, or double struck stamps.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#174558 - 09/20/18 11:17 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi

There are machines involved all over that shop. Grind a blade.....machine involved. Polish a blade.....machine involved. Sand a handle.....machine involved......and yes stamp a blade.....machine involved. All handmade. Including the stamp.
RKS#2166

#174559 - 09/20/18 11:28 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Wally]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Both of these stampings, I believe are from the late 1960's. Both #1-8, One kit blade, one fighter. Stampings are totally different.

Attachments
------02-01-16 (38).JPG

------02-01-16 (42).JPG

------01-22-16 (22).JPG

------01-22-16 (16).JPG

Edited by Eric (09/20/18 11:29 PM)

#174560 - 09/20/18 11:36 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Eric]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The one above seems to be polished. Both clear stamps!

Edited by Sphinx3000 (09/20/18 11:43 PM)

#174561 - 09/21/18 12:05 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Billy Poyner Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi
I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire,BUT every Randall shown but two have been carbon steel.I don't care if my Randall's have a shallow or deep stamp.I'm just Happy to have have every one I own!!
In the immortal words of Forrest Gump.That's all I got to say about that.I'm going to bed and dream obout the Randall's I have on order.

Proud to have served my country 67-69

#174563 - 09/21/18 12:38 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: crutchtip]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yep, some of the older "irregularities" in stampings are really attractive. I recall reading the Bo would (during war years?) let any blade with a portion of a stamp that made it identifiable as "Randall made", out of the shop since there were bigger things to worry about than perfect stamps. Randy Whiteman has a great WW2 APFK with a stamp nearly halfway down the blade! Just recently I saw an upside-down stamp on an oldie, cool as could be.

#174565 - 09/21/18 06:00 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Ronnie]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Ronnie

There are machines involved all over that shop. Grind a blade.....machine involved. Polish a blade.....machine involved. Sand a handle.....machine involved......and yes stamp a blade.....machine involved. All handmade. Including the stamp.

I meant a machine involved in the blade stamping process.

#174566 - 09/21/18 08:25 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Eric]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Eric
Both of these stampings, I believe are from the late 1960's. Both #1-8, One kit blade, one fighter. Stampings are totally different.

Eric -

the top knife is etched, not stamped. This happens generally if the stamp strike was very light and with grinding and polishing the stamp is lost, or if the stamp was really boogered up in some fashion so intentionally removed - at the shop of course.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#174567 - 09/21/18 09:01 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: crutchtip]
Stikman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Odessa , FL
The sheaths are stamped by HAND.

#174568 - 09/21/18 09:03 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: crutchtip]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tallahassee FL
Apologies in advance for the slight derail but this issue of the meaning of "hand made" is interesting to me and something I've thought about before. Here are a couple of definitions from different e-dictionaries: "made by hand or by a hand process" and "made by hand, not by machine, and typically therefore of superior quality". The second definition supports the notion that "hand made" does not involve machinery but the first doesn't really address that aspect. I do a little wood working and sometimes people ask if what I have done is hand made. I use an power saw to cut the wood, not a hand saw. I use a power sander sometimes in addition to hand sanding. I also use a power carver and not hand carving knives. But, I direct all of the power tools myself, by hand. So, is my work hand made? I think some would say no and some yes. Eye of the beholder thing I suppose. But I can certainly understand the different views.

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Me 2020

#174570 - 09/21/18 09:08 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: JE6245]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
There is a group for knife makers called the 100% percenters. They do it all by hand.

#174571 - 09/21/18 09:33 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Michael_Mason]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I think this thread is well beyond where it needed to go. Randall knives have and will always be HANDMADE. I guess it is semantics, but you can say they use machines to facilitate certain tasks, you can say they use tools to facilitate certain tasks. Whatever you want to call it, the end result is the same.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#174572 - 09/21/18 11:53 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: crutchtip]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
I think this thread is well beyond where it needed to go. Randall knives have and will always be HANDMADE. I guess it is semantics, but you can say they use machines to facilitate certain tasks, you can say they use tools to facilitate certain tasks. Whatever you want to call it, the end result is the same.

No, this thread isn't well beyond where it needed to go! It is going a certain way which isn't the direction you want it to go.

#174573 - 09/21/18 11:54 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: JE6245]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: JE6245
Apologies in advance for the slight derail but this issue of the meaning of "hand made" is interesting to me and something I've thought about before. Here are a couple of definitions from different e-dictionaries: "made by hand or by a hand process" and "made by hand, not by machine, and typically therefore of superior quality". The second definition supports the notion that "hand made" does not involve machinery but the first doesn't really address that aspect. I do a little wood working and sometimes people ask if what I have done is hand made. I use an power saw to cut the wood, not a hand saw. I use a power sander sometimes in addition to hand sanding. I also use a power carver and not hand carving knives. But, I direct all of the power tools myself, by hand. So, is my work hand made? I think some would say no and some yes. Eye of the beholder thing I suppose. But I can certainly understand the different views.

These are valid questions!

#174574 - 09/21/18 12:02 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
This thread is locked! Now it isn't going anywhere...anymore.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod