Miles Swelze James Behring Knives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206976 - 06/15/24 10:38 AM Feral Pigs
Uncle Mike Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wisconsin
Hi, it has been addressed here that wild Pigs are a continuing problem in the US especially in Texas. My question is are they good to eat ? and using South Dakota as an example can they be hunted as varmints. SD has a prairie dog problem and ranchers and the Rosebud Reservation have made money allowing hunters to use them as target practice. regards, Mike

Mike C
RKCC No. 825

#206978 - 06/15/24 04:00 PM Re: Feral Pigs [Re: Uncle Mike]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The feral pig problem is large and increasing. See the links below.

My vet in Florida previously hunted them...but gave it up after a couple of his friends caught brucellosis from butchering infected hogs.

We see them alongside roads quite often, occasionally hit by cars.

We recently took a walk around a wild-land park, got to the other side of the lake, and found the ground rooted up over a large distance. Thinking now it might not have been pleasant if we had surprised them.

Larry

https://www.economist.com/the-americas/2...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/...AiAAEgJCZvD_BwE

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13503189/wild-hogs-invasion-feral-swine-bomb.html

Edited by LarryWW1246 (06/15/24 04:01 PM)
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#206980 - 06/16/24 08:03 AM Re: Feral Pigs [Re: LarryWW1246]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
Uncle Mike,
Feral pigs are quite edible,in fact probably better meat than what you get in the store.

No steroids/chemicals basically prime protein.

They cause lots of damage.

A couple of years ago,a Texas hunt club went out for a week long feral hog hunt (about 100 hunters) and they harvested over 2,500 feral hogs.

They did not put a dent in the herd and not one scrap of meat was wasted.

So,if you have the oportunity,go out and do some hog harvesting.

Wayne

#206981 - 06/16/24 09:36 AM Re: Feral Pigs [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Uncle Mike Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hi, Larry mentions something not so appetizing, "brucellosis", regards, Mike

Mike C
RKCC No. 825

#206982 - 06/16/24 12:16 PM Re: Feral Pigs [Re: Uncle Mike]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Don't forget trichinosis.

Not long ago, there was the story of a group who cooked and ate black bear meat while they were on a hunt. They all got sick from it. Cooking meat at high temperatures to kill parasites...we are still eating parasites! I guess at that point they are just more protein to be digested.

I hear occasionally of different types of parasites found in things like grouper fish here in Florida...not sure if restaurants cut them out or what the risks are if they are eaten after cooking. Pretty sure some of the fishermen on here have information about that.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#206983 - 06/17/24 01:26 AM Re: Feral Pigs [Re: LarryWW1246]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
In all my years of Hunting big game, I have never knowingly eaten bear meat. Mainly the reason is I have seen too much of what they eat. Many folks eat bear meat, sausage, steaks, and roasts, but I won't. I have shot 3 black bears that were nuisance bears, and 2 grizzlies that killed livestock, but never ate any of them. Just not my thing.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#206984 - 06/17/24 07:58 AM Re: Feral Pigs [Re: pappy19]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
Pap,
That is interesting about bear meat. First time I ever heard about game meat not being good.

I am sure that properly prepared,game meat is better than what is purchased at the grocery stores but that is just my opinion.

Uncle Mioke,
I forgot to add,that feral pigs are also known as Razorbacks in some section of the country. And yes,their tusks are razor sharp and can inflict seriuous damage.

Usually fairly heavy calibers are used to harvest them. I am sure that some folks use the 223/5.56 stuff but I would advise against it.

Wayne

#206985 - 06/17/24 10:34 AM Re: Feral Pigs [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Uncle Mike Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hi, my main question was why these pest are not hunted as varmints and eradicated. I met the chef from the now closed "Cafe Bohemia" in Chicago. They were noted for game and "exotic game" dishes. He told me he had special dinners that he ran and had recently served bear. He told me that the participants thought they were being served prime rib. I have eaten things like squid, octopus and snails that some people would not touch with a barge pole. I think it's cultural as some of my older relatives would eat lambs inners and pig trotters. The only game I have eaten was Deer and Rabbit. Maybe feral pigs can be turned into dog food; just a thought, regards, Mike

Mike C
RKCC No. 825

#206986 - 06/17/24 12:02 PM Re: Feral Pigs [Re: Uncle Mike]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I have hunted hogs all of my life. Great eating...no doubt! Here's a quick pic of a (much younger) Capt. Chris on a hog hunt near Immokolee, Florida on Pete Pulitzer's (Yep: "That" family) ranch. It was a bow hunt weekend. The Florida Fish & Game dept. did a study on Pete's ranch and told him if he didn't get rid of several hundred hogs, his deer population would suffer for lack of natural (& other)...(feeders)...food! We killed 94 that 1st weekend and I personally stuck 38 of them!
The population continues to explode in Florida and season is wide-ass-open...year round.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: Jenning arrowstar, 70 lb. 40% let-off was my rig. Helical fletched turkey-feathered arrows, RH twist. on 2120 aluminum shafts with 5-blade broadheads. It did the job, though probably considered an antique by today's standards...CCS

Attachments
------Capt. Chris' Hog Hunt.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#206991 - 06/17/24 07:08 PM Re: Feral Pigs [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
Texas Landowners that have to clear out hogs now-and-again either hire a pro to bring in a team of dogs or they run capture pens to nab a whole hog family in one drop.

Otherwise, Feral Hog hunting (via rifle/helicopter/whatever) has become a business in Texas.

By-and-large, those business owners aren't interested in seeing the opportunity go away.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman