Stanback Knives Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84705 - 01/10/11 12:38 PM FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES.
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
This topic has been done before, but I'd like to "expand" on an already good idea.
I thought it would be cool to get some stories along with some photos!
See what you all think ... here's a guide ... It doesn't have to be followed exactly - just a guide.
When/How
did you first become aware/interested in Randall Knives?
Who
introduced you to Randall Knives?
What
was your first Randall Knife/Knives?
Where/How
did you purchased/acquire your first Randall Knife/Knives?

Here’s my story.

When/How – High School. 1967-1971. A catalog, placed down in front of me, probably on a cafeteria table.
Who - A guy (Kid!) who like me enjoyed the outdoors.
He was doing a lot of hunting and fishing and showed me that catalog and told me about the knives in that catalog.
From that moment I knew, some day, I would have to have one (ONE!!!!!!!!!! ???) of those knives.
He was a good Friend all throughout High School and as sometimes happens, after graduation we lost touch.
About 3 years ago, thanks to the internet, I found him and we’ve been in touch ever since.
A Great Guy ... He’s in Law Enforcement in Alaska! He’s a serious outdoorsman –Hunter, (big game and small), Fisherman.
He new and worked with Tom Leschorn when Tom was up in Alaska! He has owned Many Randalls.
After selling but mostly swapping and/or giving some away, he still has a few and remains a big fan.
What – My first Randall love – A 7.5” #18. Closely followed by a #1 and a #5 (Angier set-up).-More about these later!
Where/How – Walked right into a gun shop in Mineola Long Island, in the early 1980s, and there in a case were at LEAST a dozen Randalls!
I remember the owner being slightly amused at by awe and wonder at all these treasures!!!!!!!!! He gave me a catalog.
I asked to see the #18. I think I paid about $150-$160 for it! Walked right out of the store with it!

Attachments
------1st-Randall.jpg

Description: 1st Randall-#18 7.5 with one of my first catalogs.

Edited by TonyLaPetri (01/10/11 01:06 PM)
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84706 - 01/10/11 12:44 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Above photo is obviously the 18 as "naked" as the day it was born! grin
I took the sheath the shop owner gave me. Black actually looks pretty cool with the knife!
I first wrapped it with para cord. It was a little bulky.
Then (photos below) with waxed twin, then played around with some sueded leather wrapping.

Attachments
------#18-7.5-Large-Imageweb.jpg

------#18-Suede-Wrap.jpg

RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84707 - 01/10/11 12:58 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I have to add the next two Randalls I got, because what I did was get these first three, and...
cry stopped buying Randalls for a while. (DUMB crazy) We just bought our first house and
then had our first child, so I figured I'd take a "short" break from buying more "expensive" knives
and get back to them soon. Well, soon turned into several years and everything changed "a little."
Anyway, so I consider these "triplets" my "Firsts."
The #5 (Angier version) is photographed with the page of the catalog opened to it with a star next to it
as a "guide" for my Wife, Barbara, should she need an idea for a Birthday or Christmas gift! laugh
And she took the bait (God I love that girl grin)
The #1 I bought soon after, so all three were purchased from the early to mid/late 80s (if I recall correctly).

Attachments
------#5-wcatalog.jpg

------#1-wcatalog.jpg

RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84708 - 01/10/11 01:04 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

My first "Triplets." - with a couple vintage Eddie Bauer Catalogs.
For my buddy (the one who turned me on to Randalls) and me,
Bauer was THE place to get great outdoor clothing and gear.
And back then it WAS!
BTW - The #1 is MINT. Never, ever used. Not once! smile

Attachments
------First-Three.jpg

RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84713 - 01/10/11 02:19 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Great story Tony. Thanks for all the trouble you went through to post it, including great photos. I call them "photos" as I consider them far past a quickly-shot "pic". I will tell you a portion of my "firsts" a bit later. One...the very first is a personal one, shared with Bo and my Mother (who turned "80" yesterday...We had a helluva' bash for her at what used to be Francis Langford's "Outrigger" restaurant in Jensen Beach, Florida...Now "The Dolphin Bar & Shrimp House").
I'll get around to some of my Randall "tales" a bit later. I just wanted to thank you for an interesting story and a great idea for a new thread!
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: I'm workin' on website photos all day, but have to post one after Tony's story...CCS

Attachments
------#18-7.5- Tricked out 008.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#84719 - 01/10/11 04:01 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Cap,
You're very welcome. My pleasure!
Hopefully we'll get a lot of cool stories.
Nice shot of that 18!
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84722 - 01/10/11 05:35 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Very cool thread idea Tony!

The how and who! It was back in late 2004 that I first heard of Randall knives. My uncle Tony and I were at the farm standing around chatting at our usual smoking place. We were talking about knives. Tony was the guy who gave me my first real knife, a "sea-Bees" sheath knife. I was probably 5 years old! Ever since I have been into knives.

When I got home from the farm I got on the net and quickly started researching Randall knives. I quickly found what is pretty much the current website and started looking. I eventually found the sad news of the 58? month wait time and was really sad.

Somehow after a few weeks or maybe even days I found out about the Randalls on Ebay. I was searching through all of them and found a nice model #1-6 with Stainless steel, sawteeth, nickel silver double hilt, borderpatrol handle wrist thong and all black spacers. I won the auction and received the knife shortly.

I sure loved that knife, I carried it nearly everyday at the farm and while walking in the woods. I did not know much about quality knives back then, as I was only about 18 years old. Sadly I no longer have this knife. The stitching looks a little brown/yellow because I started out treating the sheath with montana pitch blend leather preserve. I had not found Obenaufs LP yet cry

heres a pic

Edited by Leatherman (01/10/11 05:42 PM)

#84726 - 01/10/11 06:49 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Leatherman]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ben,
Very Nice! Thanks for posting!
It's interesting how much more we learn about Randalls as time goes on
and we do more research and find more like-minded Randall Fans.
Any more pics of that beauty?
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84728 - 01/10/11 07:11 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Oldvetnam1 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NJ
When/How - I actually came to Randalls probably later than most. I think I was 52 or 53, 2002 or 2003, when I saw my first catalog. That's when I saw it, the knife I had been looking for since I was 5 or 6, The Smithsonian Bowie. It took about 51 years for me to get the knife of my dreams.

Who - I'm going to have to say Jim Bowie, not that he actually introduced me to Randalls but the TV show The Adventures of Jim Bowie and the movie The Iron Mistress is what got me interested in that type of knife. Then probably looking through a knife magazine I saw an ad for Randall Made Knives and ordered one. When it came there it was.

What - It is the 12-11 Smithsonian Bowie that is in this picture. It is the standard catalog model, no bells or whistles and the day UPS delivered I think my hands shook as I opened the box. For me it was like finding The Holy Grail.

Where/How - I ordered the knife from the catalog, sent the order form to Randall, waited for the response and then waited for the knife. I think back then it cost about $430 and the wait was 38 months. It turned out to be around 41 months but there it was I had the knife of my dreams.

Attachments
------rsz_randall_&_dvd2.jpg

Edited by Oldvetnam1 (01/10/11 07:12 PM)
RKS #5715
SHAG #006

#84729 - 01/10/11 07:58 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Originally Posted By: TonyLaPetri
Ben,
Very Nice! Thanks for posting!
It's interesting how much more we learn about Randalls as time goes on
and we do more research and find more like-minded Randall Fans.
Any more pics of that beauty?
Tony

Sorry no more pics, I didnt have much of a camera then.

Old Vietnam thats a sweet blade!

Edited by Leatherman (01/10/11 07:59 PM)

#84730 - 01/10/11 09:00 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
New2Randalls Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
When/How:
I became aware of Randall Knives in November 2006, so yes, I was a late arrival to the party too. I saw a presentation of a knife collection that consisted of only Randall Knives.
Who:
The friend that was giving the presentation. I was hooked the first time I saw and handled them.
What
My very first Randall was a mid 1960's 8-4 with it's original JRB sheath. Very soon followed by a Model 1-8 and a Model 14 from the same person.
Where/How
I purchased the 8-4 off of Ebay for a very reasonable price. This was follow by purchasing the Models 1-8 & 14, both from the same person off of Ebay. Both knives shipped from Australia so I had a couple of weeks time to wait for them.

I now have more Randall's in my collection than the person that got me hooked on them. I really hate him for infecting me with this disease that we all collect Randall Knives grin
Here are some pictures of my first 3 knives:

Dan Snyder
RKS #5537
SHAG #010

Attachments
------Randall 1st Model 8-4.jpg

------Randall 1st Model 1-8.jpg

------Randall 1st  model 14.jpg

#84736 - 01/10/11 09:42 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Skaptch Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Great thread topic Tony - Thanks for the opportunity to regale Randalls.

My story goes like this:

When/How did you first become aware/interested in Randall Knives? Back in the early 80's. I travelled into Sydney city as I did annually & came across Mick Smiths Guns store in George st. He used to sell all manner of guns & knives & associated equipment etc.

Who introduced you to Randall Knives? I'd have to say Mick Smith at the gun shop that day.

What was your first Randall Knife/Knives? Well it would be that model 11-4 Mick showed me & I didnt let go of untill I got home.

Where/How did you purchased/acquire your first Randall Knife/Knives? I was in store looking for a solid working pig knife & was tracking down the AITOR range. We were shooting the breeze & Mick asked me what did I do my skinning with. I had a Boker folder for skinning & he showed me a couple RMK model 11's. I bought a plain jane model 11 that suited my hand nicely. I spent about $700 in store that day buying 2 knives. I remember what "got me" with the 11 was the choil depth. I could slip my forefinger over the brass hilt & get extra dexterity with the blade pressuring the top edge gently with my thumb. I use to use the choil like a rocker & palm the handle with pressure alternating between handle & blade.

Regretably back in early 2000 it was stolen along with many other knives. I have never replaced that model 11 - but I will one day when the right one comes along.

As a result of Mick introducing me to Randall skinners I pursued many other models & purchased many for use in military, hunting & pure admiration / collecting since then. I collect only Randalls now after the theft though. I like many knife makers, both factory & custom handmades but stick to randalls purely due to there testament to modern artisan history. Few people could claim to have influenced such history like Bo Randall (& team) did & to which Gary & his team continue to do today.

I'll pop up a few pics of my RMKs when I can access them.

Great thread & I look fwd to reading its entirety.

Cheers

#84741 - 01/10/11 10:12 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Oldvetnam1]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Steve,
Great story.
JIM BOWIE ... ya got me smiling ... I remember the TV show!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for posting!
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84742 - 01/10/11 10:16 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: New2Randalls]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Dan,
Nice story!
Randallholics are we all!
Thanks,
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84743 - 01/10/11 10:22 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Skaptch]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Steve (Ausie Steve!!!!)
GREAT Story. I was smilin' along and my heart sank when you mentioned the theft. So sorry.
But I'm glad you kept on going!
Look forward to some pics!
Thanks,
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84769 - 01/11/11 06:28 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
E8 USMC Ret Offline
Just dropped in

Loc: Concord, North Carolina
I first became aware of Randall Knives after watching the 1976 Clint Eastwood movie "The Enforcer". During the autopsy, the Coroner remarks that the murder was caused by a fighting knife a "Marine Corps bowie or Special Forces Randall". At that point I had to see what a Special Forces Randall was.

Since then, I've owned many and parted with them all if the price was right, big mistake. I've recently purchased many of the Models I've parted with including a new Mod 18 5.5" and a Mod 14 7.5" Attack.

Being a career US Marine, I tend to gravitate to the Military/Survival models offered.

#84770 - 01/11/11 07:08 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: E8 USMC Ret]
Oldvetnam1 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Welcome Aboard. Glad to have you here and thank you for your service. This is a great place to see a lot of great knives.
RKS #5715
SHAG #006

#84785 - 01/11/11 10:34 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: E8 USMC Ret]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

E8,
Welcome!!
Nice little bit of nostalgia about that Clint Eastwood movie ... I didn't know that!
Got any photos of your knives?
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84797 - 01/12/11 10:51 AM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Leatherman]
Guido_Bitossi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Florence, Italy
WHEN & WHO
I was used to go to Orlando for my businness since early 90'and no idea about RMK. Once a friend of mine, knowing about my frequent visits there, told me:
take this...if you have a chance go to visit the best American knives maker.....
So...I did it !

Attachments
------doc1.jpg

#84799 - 01/12/11 10:59 AM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Guido_Bitossi]
Guido_Bitossi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Florence, Italy
WHAT & WHERE
I got my first RMK on 1997 at the Shop.
The counter was pretty loaded of knives.Pete was there too.
I was among some Italians friends and bougth some knives:
I got a 25 and my close frient too; we all got some more.
The fact is that my real first RMK was stolen from my house the following year.That's the worst side of the story.
Here the good side: my close friend was with me at the Shop that day, gift to me is "first" RMK...
This's the true story about my(his) first RMK Mod.25
Pete Hamilton was astonished also as I asked for a Mini 25 as it was some buks more expensive of the "real"one...
The counter was almost full at that time ( Feb.28th 1997 ) with LOOOT of choices....

Attachments
------IMG_4118.jpg

Edited by Guido_Bitossi (01/12/11 11:01 AM)

#84813 - 01/12/11 12:52 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Guido_Bitossi]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Guido,
Nice story with a happy ending! And Beautiful "First" Randall Knives!
Thanks for sharing your story and the knives!
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84852 - 01/12/11 09:45 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
TAGannon Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Dysfunctional, New York
The time, Spring 1983. The place, Fort Worth TX. There was a knife show at the Tarrant County Arena. Saw this table set up with Randall Knives and it looked real classy. The other tables were nice, but lacked the attention to detail this one had. Not sure if he was a dealer, or just collector / re-seller. I'd heard of Randall, but was not sure where. Probably in an old Blade magazine.

I saw this 23 and thought it looked so cool. It had different spacers than the other knives he had. I remember the most common knife on his table was a model 1. He had mostly large knives and then the 23. It was also the only one in my price range. It was also the only leather handle. My experience with the Ka-bar made me a big believer in that kind of handle. Lots of knives have come and gone. This 23 is mine forever.

My next keeper is this 15 CDT. I mention it because I always really liked the #5 Angier version. Not being a particularly patient person, and stumbling on this 15, I thought it would be a perfect substitute. It came with a square or flat top guard. I've never been a big believer in anything pointy being in the vicinity of your hands and fingers on the handle of a knife that will be used and used hard. So, as the photos attest. I made a slight modification. Feels great and does not bite me when I choke up to do finer work. I baton, chop, carve and this knife just soaks it up. Rather it be O1, but I have no complaints with the performance of this blade.

Great topic Tony. Thanks for starting it.

#84855 - 01/12/11 10:24 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TAGannon]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Tom,
GREAT STORY! And great Randalls! Something about those single hilt #15s, eh? grin
Thanks for sharing!
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84857 - 01/12/11 10:39 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
TAGannon Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Dysfunctional, New York
Thanks Tony.

Yep, there is a certain 15 that I still lose sleep over. wink

#84864 - 01/13/11 07:50 AM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TAGannon]
Oldvetnam1 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Great knives Tom. I really like that 23.
RKS #5715
SHAG #006

#84920 - 01/13/11 07:46 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Oldvetnam1]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
This is a test. RKS members have been complaining of not being able to post up within this thread.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: First Randall...Well: ONE of my first. British Commando

Attachments
------British Commando Knife & Cheath 001.jpg

------British Commando Knife & Cheath 002.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#84922 - 01/13/11 08:24 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yep ... all I get is ? ?
Let me quit out and see what happens. This has been a problem for a while, for me.
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84923 - 01/13/11 08:25 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Well,
There ya go ...
as soon as I posted my reply the pics in the Cap's post appeared ... go figure!!!!!

Cool knife, Cap!!!! crazy

Edited by TonyLaPetri (01/13/11 08:26 PM)
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84935 - 01/13/11 09:56 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
HALORANGER Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FLORIDA
Capt, Now thats what I'am talking about. Please put me at the top of your list if you ever think of parting with that baby. Great knife!!!
RKS#5929
HOG Member
www.bedgoodknives.com

#84996 - 01/15/11 06:31 AM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Peter_Kaufman Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southeast Utah

Thanks for starting this thread, and all of the posts so far.

I had heard of Randall Made Knives for some time, but I wasn't seriously into knife collecting until I got the bug in 2000.

I was at a gun show near Pittsburgh PA and I still had some money since I didn't buy any guns that day. There was a vendor at a table who had a nice selection of new Randall knives, so I looked them over, and found one that appealed to me more than the others. It was a Combat Companion with great wood and a black sheath.

This started my addiction and before long I called the shop to see if they had any knives in stock. They did and I purchased a #25 5" brass with polished stag and a standard #15

The next knife I ordered was #1 7" ss, nickel silver hilt and butt, with ironwood, name etch and left hand sheath.

Now the end isn't even in sight.

Before long I joined RKS and joined in here and last year I went to my first Blade Show

Here is a picture of my first, and the others should be somewhere in the knife of the week area.

Attachments
------IMG_1342 (Large).JPG

SAF
RKCC CM-023
RKS #5642
SHAG # 005
Ironwood Nut
Life is too short to have ugly knives

#85007 - 01/15/11 05:16 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Peter_Kaufman]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Quote:
Now the end isn't even in sight.

You said a mouthful, Brother!
I think we've seen this baby before ... didn't realize it was your first.
What a great piece of wood!
Aren't you glad you didn't buy any guns that day? grin
Thanks for posting, Peter!
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#85009 - 01/15/11 05:45 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES........... [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Laukia Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: So. Cal.
.........of this New Year! I actually went to the auction looking for some C&R rifles and shotguns and lo and behold I ended up bidding on these old knives. Geezus....now what do I do? smile

#85010 - 01/15/11 05:53 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES........... [Re: Laukia]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

WOW!
NINE Firsts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EXCELLENT!
NOW WHAT DO YOU DO ? ... start working on your next nine! laugh
Thanks for posting Dave!
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#85012 - 01/15/11 07:12 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES........... [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Rick_Bowles Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
I've noticed a reoccurring theme. Over the years we may have been around Randall knives, heard of them or even read about them but we didn't catch the bug until someone we respected told us about them.
This has been seen by most so let me apologize but after all, you only have one "first time".

REDBURN

Randall Made knives have a mystique, history and following that, in my experience, is unprecedented. Time after time I hear folks describe their emotions regarding Randall knives with a reverence that is usually reserved for a beautiful woman or a new born child. I experienced this for myself back in the 70s while visiting an old gun collector friend of mine. Then 60 years old, give or take, Billy Redburn was a tall slender man with a full head of white hair and a matching handlebar mustache. He was proud of the fact that he still wore the same size jeans that he had worn in high school. Like one of his idols in an old western, Billy always dressed the same. His 20X silverbelly Stetson was worn and dirty and sported a rattlesnake band. The remainder of his standard apparel was as you would expect, plaid shirt with yokes front and back, Wrangler jeans and handmade boots from a small shop in Texas. The boots were cowhide, not some exotic critter but they did have custom silver toe and heel caps. His hand tooled belt carried a silver tip, keepers and buckle. The waistband on his right side always, and I do mean ALWAYS, bulged with an ivory handled 1911 Colt .45 ACP. Any handgun that Billy would or could possibly ever carry was equipped with ivory grips like General Patton, another hero of his. In the watch pocket of his jeans rested his model 110 Buck folding hunter which, like his guns, had been fitted with ivory scales by knifemaker P.J. Tomes. Billy was an old school collector. He only added to his collection, he never sold. He still had the first gun he'd ever bought, a martially marked Calvary model single action army Colt that he had pulled from a pickle barrel full of surplus handguns and for which he paid five dollars. He also still had his first "real" knife. In his kitchen, next to his sink was an oversized wood cutting board. Above this, firmly stuck to a magnet that had been secured between the cabinets was a six inch belt knife with a stag handle. As my hand was uncontrollably drawn to the seemingly misplaced tool I asked Billy "what the hell kind of kitchen knife is this"? That's a Randall knife, he replied, in a tone of respect that, prior to this, I had only heard him use while oiling his 1911 A1 SINGER government model .45. I pried the carbon blade from the magnet and as the right handed stag found it's proper seat in my hand I instantly noticed the heft and balance of the knife. I wanted to cut something.... It was magical! My eye was drawn down the blade from point to hilt. There was no hint of rust though it was stained in spots from years of cutting everything from fresh juice oranges for breakfast to Sunday's dinner ham. Billy believed in using his tools. Then, as I turned the knife back and fourth with my hand, never changing my grip on the old yellowed pinned stag, I noticed the name in two lines, bracketed by scimitars, deeply stamped on the left side of the blade. Randall Made Orlando Florida I said out loud. Without realizing it, I heard my own voice adopt that same respectful tone. "You like that" Redburn said? Yeah, I answered quietly, my voice still in respect mode ... now that's a knife. Come with me he said, I'll show ya something. Billy was a retired Navy man. He had been an armorer aboard the U.S.S. Hornet and spoke with great pride about how in the predawn hours of April 18, 1942, he had loaded the bombs on Jimmy Doolittle's B-25. He still kept most of his possessions, with his gun collection being the most notable exception, in sea bags which he called his Amelia Earheart luggage. It was as if he half expected to be called back to his ship at any moment. Laced up and locked, he kept everything locked with tiny pad locks, they lay about the spare bedroom which, before her death, was his wife's sewing room. I followed him into the room and watched as he walked straight to one of the olive drab bags resting next to a well worn recliner. As he sat he pulled a tiny key from his pocket and lifting up the sea bag he inserted the key and opened the lock. I couldn't help but wonder if that one key fit all those little locks or if this key was special, residing in his jeans pocket with other required items such as his pocket knife, truck keys and plastic, clamshell change purse. I soon had my answer as the lock dropped and the bag opened to reveal it's treasures. One by one Redburn pulled Randall knives from their canvas hideout. Each still in it's sheath, he tossed them unceremoniously on the floor. The knives piled up on the brown shag carpet until the sea bag lay flat and empty next to what I guessed to be around thirty Randalls of varying models, handle configurations and blade lengths. Redburn glanced my way. "One knife won't do it all, you need a bunch of'em" he said as a wry grin began to grow under his white, handlebar mustache. Like I said earlier, Redburn liked to use his tools. Several of the knives were handled in ivory, several more carried stag, a few in leather and poking noticeably out of the pile was a massive Bowie with a beautiful burl walnut, commando shaped handle. I grabbed the Bowie. Why is it that boys of any age love knives and the bigger the better? "That's a Raymond Thorp Bowie" he said, as if I should have known who Raymond Thorp was. We spent the remainder of the afternoon in that room. I would pick one from the pile and while cleaning the green stuff from the hilt that had accumulated from years of storing it in it's sheath, Redburn would educate me on that particular model. I was hooked. I had caught the bug from Redburn with which I would remain infected for the rest of my days. As I finished cleaning the last Randall, a model #1-8" with ivory and a compass in the butt, I asked the question. "So Billy, what's a knife like this gonna cost me"? As we began to put the carbon steel treasure back in it's GI safe, Redburn pulled a small yellow catalog from a side pocket of the sea bag and handed it to me. "Twenty-four dollars for the knife and six dollars more for the ivory handle?" At that price I had already ordered three models in my mind when I noticed Redburn's mustache start to twitch again. "Yup, he said, that ain't a lot of money now but it was a bunch back in 1950 when that catalog was printed"!
Billy Redburn, my friend of thirty years, passed away peacefully yesterday at the age of 86. He was a hero of the greatest generation. He led a full life and he will be missed. Good ride cowboy.
Rick Bowles RKS #012
www.RBscrim.com
N.K.C.A.
NRA Endowment

#85034 - 01/16/11 06:01 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES........... [Re: Rick_Bowles]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yep, seen this before , Rick.
And I enjoyed reading as much as the first time.
Thanks for posting!
Ya got any photos of your firsts??
Thanks again,
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#85046 - 01/16/11 07:10 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES........... [Re: Rick_Bowles]
Oldvetnam1 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I remember that Rick. It was a great story when I first read and it is still a great story.
RKS #5715
SHAG #006

#85085 - 01/17/11 02:29 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES........... [Re: Oldvetnam1]
ChadHelpling Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Space Coast, FL
Rick, that was the first time I've read that and I appreciate you sharing it.

My first Randall is on order, and my second and third and fourth and... I've almost lost count. I was at the shop this morning and just had to put an order in: #12-9 with 14 grind, ironwood, border patrol, brass forward curved hilt, brass and black spacers, brass radiused butt cap. I want one (at least) big bowie in my collection, and I'm partial to stainless, so that was the one.

I was familiar with Randall Made Knives back in junior high and high school when I considered myself a knife nut. Of course, back then I had no money and a Randall was not in the cards. They fell off my radar as I went through the predictable stages of college, career, marriage, kids, etc.

As for the person who got me interested? That would be Jason Randall. With one visit this past spring from Jason to a local fly fishing club here on the Space Coast, I was hooked. He gave us a backstage video tour of the shop, and spent quite a bit of time sharing the history of Randall Made Knives and answering questions. His passion for the shop that his grandfather built and for the knives they produce was evident.

I started reading everything I could find on Randall Made Knives, including this site. I grabbed Gaddis's book and read it cover to cover and started daydreaming of the various models I'd like to start with. Capt Chris has been very helpful, and I'm looking forward to seeing the ones I've ordered with him, in addition to my couple of shop orders, come to fruition.

So, that is the short story of one recently afflicted with the Randall addiction. I'll be adding pictures to the knife of the week threads as they arrive. Till then, I'll continue to drool over all of yours.
RKS #5970

#85087 - 01/17/11 03:10 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES........... [Re: ChadHelpling]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Chad,
Great story! Can't wait to see the photos!
Thanks,
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#206705 - 04/21/24 06:57 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES........... [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: central fl.
I was watching some Clint Eastwood movies (namely Dirty Harry) this weekend and I thought I would resurrect this thread...I bet there are some more great stories to share!!

Scott
RKS #014

HE IS RISEN!, HE IS RISEN INDEED!

#206706 - 04/22/24 08:16 AM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES........... [Re: Dirty_Water]
505Gibbs Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Suburban Deeeetroit
Thanks for doing this DW!!
RKCC# CM-068

#206707 - 04/22/24 10:36 AM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES........... [Re: 505Gibbs]
BladesNBarrels Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
I remember reading Rick Bowles' post and thinking about his first exposure to Randall Knives as something special.
I think most of us have known characters like Billy Redburn and having been influenced and changed by them.
My first Randall purchase was a Model 16 on New Year's Eve, 2003.
I had handled and seen a Model 1 after Navy Boot Camp in 1965, but could not afford one then.
The Model 16 lived with me for 15 years, and moved on to a collector that just had to have it.

Molon Labe

#206708 - 04/22/24 02:55 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES........... [Re: Dirty_Water]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest
This is the first one I ever ordered, back in the early 1960's - I remember that I had to pay more than $30 for it, and had to wait nearly a year to get it!

Attachments
------1963 Randall Model #1.jpg

RKS #258

#206709 - 04/22/24 04:02 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES........... [Re: Holzinger258]
jhe8888 Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas

I don't recall exactly when I got this 5-6. It would have been in the early 1990s. Call it 1992, but it could have been plus or minus two years. I don't think Bo Randall was still living when I ordered, but I wish he had been.

I have always been a lover of knives. I was aware of Randall from knife magazines, etc. I wrote off to the shop and got a catalog in 1989, which I still have. As many of you will know, there weren't as many hand-made knives available then. Randalls were thought to be the ne plus ultra.

Delivery for a knife ordered in September, 1989 was for May, 1991. I didn't order this knife right away, but mulled it over for some months. You might say I even agonized over the choice, although that exaggerates a little, and finally ordered this knife. It came in about that same amount of time - 30ish months. The catalog price was $200; $175 for the knife and $25 for stag. I have a 1995 catalog as the next one I got, and the delivery time was up to five years by then.

I have used it, a little. Mostly, I carried it in the woods as a general purpose knife. It does have a nice piece of stag, although now I would prefer a little straighter piece of stag. I probably wouldn't order a 6" knife for a user any more, either.

I didn't get another for quite a while, when my wife got me a model 8 with a stag handle for Christmas. That one was in stock at A.G. Russell. The collection has grown since then.

Edited by jhe8888 (04/24/24 11:54 AM)

#206710 - 04/22/24 04:55 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES........... [Re: jhe8888]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hey Scott,

Thanks!!!! I’m sure there will be some great stories. Some already!!

Thanks All,
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#206712 - 04/23/24 12:31 AM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Leatherman]
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado
I got my first Randall in the early 1980's. I was a LEO and a newly minted member of the department's Special Weapons and Tactics unit.

I had seen Randall's at the Bay Area Knife Collector's Association (BAKCA) shows in Northern California.

I ordered a Model 14 with sawteeth directly from the Randall shop. It served me well for may years and it has since been handed down to my son.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod