dominionhobby.com Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174521 - 09/20/18 04:14 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Spring Hill, Florida
If you don't want to be badgered on here, buy yourself a copy of Pete Hamilton's reference book, "The Randall Chronicles" and turn to pages 18-19. There you will see the stamping process. Nobody swings a hammer harder than the next. These knifes are not THAT handmade! lol
ta2bill@yahoo.com

#174522 - 09/20/18 04:35 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Tattoo Bill]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yes, the stamp is "pressed" by machine. There are still different stamps used at different times, with different wear patterns, etc. The polishing, grinding, final finishing (all done by hand) all has effects on the appearance of the stamp. Many years ago, they were struck by hammer blow, hence the partial strikes, double stikes, etc. you may find on vintage knives.

#174525 - 09/20/18 05:23 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Wally]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tallahassee FL
There's a fairly significant difference between the stamps on the two knives shown. Looks to me to be more than just strength of striking or different finishing. The first knife does almost look like an etched stamp to me but I am too lazy to go find examples of etched logos to compare. I assume since none of the more knowledgeable folks on here have suggested that it is etched that it's not the case. And, I feel your pain Sphinx -- cryptic answers are not particularly helpful when you're trying to learn. That's all I have to say about that.

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Me 2020

#174526 - 09/20/18 05:38 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: JE6245]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I beleive the two knives were struck with the same stamp. The position of the stamp is different, so the grinding, polishing, finishing, perhaps even the temperature of the blade when struck, make the two look different, even though, as I said, I believe they are done with the same stamp.

#174527 - 09/20/18 06:30 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Wally]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
OK,
Here's (perhaps) what you're looking for, Pyramid..(Sorry: Sphinx).
Randall strikes about 100 pieces of blade stock at one time.
Per Scott: "No 2" pieces are exactly the same dimension. When the blades are ground a mic is used and some blades require more to be removed than others...hence, some are lighter, due to more metal being removed than the ones that appear "deep-struck". So, for my money, I'd rather have a deep struck blade. It could be (actually) stronger??
Sphynx (spelling?): Some of the "other forum" posts you are speaking about, I think, are more leading towards different stamps for different "eras". That is not what I am addressing. Perhaps Scott can pipe up later..."butt"...(There's that word again, folks)...the shop has been slammed and I told him I would attempt to explain, albeit...non-minutia...hope this helps.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: Wally & Crutch get points for (jointly) coming up with the best results. (No $$$, mind you...just points)!
CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#174529 - 09/20/18 07:10 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pap, I think etching took place when an original stamp was polished too "far out" to be acceptable. It was also done to all soligen(sic?) blades. I also think, and hope someone can verify, that etching is all but a thing of the past.

#174530 - 09/20/18 07:16 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
OK,
Here's (perhaps) what you're looking for, Pyramid..(Sorry: Sphinx).
Randall strikes about 100 pieces of blade stock at one time.
Per Scott: "No 2" pieces are exactly the same dimension. When the blades are ground a mic is used and some blades require more to be removed than others...hence, some are lighter, due to more metal being removed than the ones that appear "deep-struck". So, for my money, I'd rather have a deep struck blade. It could be (actually) stronger??
Sphynx (spelling?): Some of the "other forum" posts you are speaking about, I think, are more leading towards different stamps for different "eras". That is not what I am addressing. Perhaps Scott can pipe up later..."butt"...(There's that word again, folks)...the shop has been slammed and I told him I would attempt to explain, albeit...non-minutia...hope this helps.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: Wally & Crutch get points for (jointly) coming up with the best results. (No $$$, mind you...just points)!
CCS

This response looks "suspiciously" like it would seem that Crutch was sorta almost semi right, when he pointed out the elusive fact of..... HANDMADE...

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#174531 - 09/20/18 07:18 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
Thank you fellow forum members for the explanation and the tips, I appropriate it! I was wondering and thought I ask the question here, because I am interested in every expect of Randall Made Knives.

I also hope that crutchtip learned, that not every little aspect of our beloved Randall is 100% HANDMADE (because of the stamping MACHINE, not that it matters) No need to apologize crutchtip. I forgive you, for your ignorance young grasshopper!

crutchtip, before you get mad, this is called a JOKE, LOL
If you do get mad, I have a handmade finger sign for you laugh

#174532 - 09/20/18 07:24 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I guarantee Crutch knows how the blades are struck. At least the trademark isn't "chiseled in" one at a time! I bet also, that most "machine made" knives have their logo rolled or pantographed on after they are finished.

#174533 - 09/20/18 07:46 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Wally]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
If he knows, and perhaps he does? Why give such short HANDMADE answers.
Be nice and explain a little to somebody who wants to learn a little about the process. Oh well, not everybody is the same I guess, were all HANDMADE...

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod