Randall Made Knife Miles Swelze
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174535 - 09/20/18 07:53 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: crutchtip]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
Sorry Wally, but if I read this Quote of him, he doesn't know exactly how the blades are struck...

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
give you a break? The knives are handmade to include the stamp strike, forging, grind lines, final polish, final hilt shape, final handle shape, etc., etc.

That is why. It seems you are looking for machine type characteristics like the buck knives you used as an example.

Wally pretty much summed it up 4-5 post back:

Originally Posted By: Wally
The stamp is struck long before final finishing. Polishing different grinds, different forgings, etc... results in different results. In the end, it is due to the fact that they're all a little different. Because they're handmade.

#174536 - 09/20/18 07:58 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Wally]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: central fl.
Alright, I'll see if can elaborate a bit...

When we order and receive the bar stock steel, they hardly ever arrive all EXACTLY the same size....after forging and shaping, the blades are mic'd according to thickness and separated accordingly, the machine we use to stamp the blades DOES have to be set up by "HAND AND EYE" for each and every model... don't tell me that this doesn't constitute HANDMADE...as we set up for the blades to be stamped the forgemen set the depth by HAND AND EYE and although we try and reach a happy mediium that will give each and every knife a good stamp...some may be a bit deeper, some may be a bit shallower, but we do, as Cap stated stamp around 100 knives in a batch....and then add the process of final shaping, final grinding, sanding, and 3-4 polishes and we are left with what we believe will be the same good readable stamp.

Thanks to all who covered this subject so well, especially Crutch who I believe stated just as I did...with just a fewer words...

Scott
RKS #014

HE IS RISEN!, HE IS RISEN INDEED!

#174537 - 09/20/18 08:02 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Dirty_Water]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Crutch has forgotten more about RMK's then most people will ever know. He also happens to have the full support of the shop. For what it's worth to those that DON'T KNOW....

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#174538 - 09/20/18 08:19 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Dirty_Water]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks for your answer Scott!

Crutch could have given an normal answer, but chose to leave it at HANDMADE. Is it so much trouble for him to give a little more explanation? And if he doesn't want to do that, don't comment at all.He said that there was no machine involved, so he was wrong.

#174539 - 09/20/18 08:22 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

That doesn't mean that I consider Randall made Knives as not being 100% handmade, because I do!

#174540 - 09/20/18 08:26 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: RamKingJC]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: RamKingJC
Crutch has forgotten more about RMK's then most people will ever know. He also happens to have the full support of the shop. For what it's worth to those that DON'T KNOW....

If he knows so much and is on a forum, share your knowledge to people who want to learn. That is normally what a forum is for.

#174541 - 09/20/18 08:30 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: RamKingJC]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

He also happens to have the full support of the shop. For what it's worth to those that DON'T KNOW.... [/quote]

What the hell has that got to do with it. So if you have the shop behind you, you are always wright, LOL

#174542 - 09/20/18 08:43 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

There are anywheres between 5-10 steps to be done by hand to set up each batch of blades to be stamped BEFORE we put a foot to pedal as we hand hold each and every blade still and even enough to get a smooth and straight stamp...we use grinders to hand grind the blades or does using a grinder also not constitute a handmade step? This is a silly argument just because Crutch was so curt...that's just how he is, don't take it so personally and let's all move the conversations away from any more biting comments please....

Scott
RKS #014

#174543 - 09/20/18 09:05 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Dirty_Water]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

If you want to stop the discussion, why ask me another question witch ads more fuel to the fire? "we use grinders to hand grind the blades or does using a grinder also not constitute a handmade step?"

If crutch is curt, that is not my problem but his. And he can get the reaction I find appropriate. That is the way I am. Apart from that, I am willing to move on.

#174544 - 09/20/18 09:27 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I don't wish to stop the discussion...just the biting comments by ALL...everyone here knows I'm just a peacekeeper!

Scott
RKS #014

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod