Randall Knife Collectors Club Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174556 - 09/20/18 10:51 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Some of the best Randall knives ever made had feint, half visible, irregular, upside down, or double struck stamps.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#174558 - 09/20/18 11:17 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Originally Posted By: Sphinx3000
Thanks for your answer Scott!

Crutch could have given an normal answer, but chose to leave it at HANDMADE. Is it so much trouble for him to give a little more explanation? And if he doesn't want to do that, don't comment at all.He said that there was no machine involved, so he was wrong.

There are machines involved all over that shop. Grind a blade.....machine involved. Polish a blade.....machine involved. Sand a handle.....machine involved......and yes stamp a blade.....machine involved. All handmade. Including the stamp.
RKS#2166

#174559 - 09/20/18 11:28 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Wally]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Both of these stampings, I believe are from the late 1960's. Both #1-8, One kit blade, one fighter. Stampings are totally different.

Attachments
------02-01-16 (38).JPG

------02-01-16 (42).JPG

------01-22-16 (22).JPG

------01-22-16 (16).JPG

Edited by Eric (09/20/18 11:29 PM)

#174560 - 09/20/18 11:36 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Eric]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
The one above seems to be polished. Both clear stamps!

Edited by Sphinx3000 (09/20/18 11:43 PM)

#174561 - 09/21/18 12:05 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Billy Poyner Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi
I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire,BUT every Randall shown but two have been carbon steel.I don't care if my Randall's have a shallow or deep stamp.I'm just Happy to have have every one I own!!
In the immortal words of Forrest Gump.That's all I got to say about that.I'm going to bed and dream obout the Randall's I have on order.

Proud to have served my country 67-69

#174563 - 09/21/18 12:38 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: crutchtip]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yep, some of the older "irregularities" in stampings are really attractive. I recall reading the Bo would (during war years?) let any blade with a portion of a stamp that made it identifiable as "Randall made", out of the shop since there were bigger things to worry about than perfect stamps. Randy Whiteman has a great WW2 APFK with a stamp nearly halfway down the blade! Just recently I saw an upside-down stamp on an oldie, cool as could be.

#174565 - 09/21/18 06:00 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Ronnie]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Ronnie
Originally Posted By: Sphinx3000
Thanks for your answer Scott!

Crutch could have given an normal answer, but chose to leave it at HANDMADE. Is it so much trouble for him to give a little more explanation? And if he doesn't want to do that, don't comment at all.He said that there was no machine involved, so he was wrong.

There are machines involved all over that shop. Grind a blade.....machine involved. Polish a blade.....machine involved. Sand a handle.....machine involved......and yes stamp a blade.....machine involved. All handmade. Including the stamp.

I meant a machine involved in the blade stamping process.

#174566 - 09/21/18 08:25 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Eric]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Eric
Both of these stampings, I believe are from the late 1960's. Both #1-8, One kit blade, one fighter. Stampings are totally different.

Eric -

the top knife is etched, not stamped. This happens generally if the stamp strike was very light and with grinding and polishing the stamp is lost, or if the stamp was really boogered up in some fashion so intentionally removed - at the shop of course.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#174567 - 09/21/18 09:01 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: crutchtip]
Stikman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Odessa , FL
The sheaths are stamped by HAND.

#174568 - 09/21/18 09:03 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: crutchtip]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tallahassee FL
Apologies in advance for the slight derail but this issue of the meaning of "hand made" is interesting to me and something I've thought about before. Here are a couple of definitions from different e-dictionaries: "made by hand or by a hand process" and "made by hand, not by machine, and typically therefore of superior quality". The second definition supports the notion that "hand made" does not involve machinery but the first doesn't really address that aspect. I do a little wood working and sometimes people ask if what I have done is hand made. I use an power saw to cut the wood, not a hand saw. I use a power sander sometimes in addition to hand sanding. I also use a power carver and not hand carving knives. But, I direct all of the power tools myself, by hand. So, is my work hand made? I think some would say no and some yes. Eye of the beholder thing I suppose. But I can certainly understand the different views.

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Me 2020

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod