dominionhobby.com Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174570 - 09/21/18 09:08 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: JE6245]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
There is a group for knife makers called the 100% percenters. They do it all by hand.

#174571 - 09/21/18 09:33 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Michael_Mason]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I think this thread is well beyond where it needed to go. Randall knives have and will always be HANDMADE. I guess it is semantics, but you can say they use machines to facilitate certain tasks, you can say they use tools to facilitate certain tasks. Whatever you want to call it, the end result is the same.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#174572 - 09/21/18 11:53 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: crutchtip]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: crutchtip
I think this thread is well beyond where it needed to go. Randall knives have and will always be HANDMADE. I guess it is semantics, but you can say they use machines to facilitate certain tasks, you can say they use tools to facilitate certain tasks. Whatever you want to call it, the end result is the same.

No, this thread isn't well beyond where it needed to go! It is going a certain way which isn't the direction you want it to go.

#174573 - 09/21/18 11:54 AM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: JE6245]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: JE6245
Apologies in advance for the slight derail but this issue of the meaning of "hand made" is interesting to me and something I've thought about before. Here are a couple of definitions from different e-dictionaries: "made by hand or by a hand process" and "made by hand, not by machine, and typically therefore of superior quality". The second definition supports the notion that "hand made" does not involve machinery but the first doesn't really address that aspect. I do a little wood working and sometimes people ask if what I have done is hand made. I use an power saw to cut the wood, not a hand saw. I use a power sander sometimes in addition to hand sanding. I also use a power carver and not hand carving knives. But, I direct all of the power tools myself, by hand. So, is my work hand made? I think some would say no and some yes. Eye of the beholder thing I suppose. But I can certainly understand the different views.

These are valid questions!

#174574 - 09/21/18 12:02 PM Re: Why is there such a difference in Randall stamps? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
This thread is locked! Now it isn't going anywhere...anymore.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Mr_Mod