James Behring Knives Miles Swelze
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67999 - 10/19/09 08:42 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Course * [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
alan_grombacher Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Hey Captain,

Here is one:

Crossing the border one time a few years back, a U.S. Border patrol agent was checking my car. He looked into the back seat and saw my #3 6 inch stag (I didn't completely zip the bag). He said, "Hey look a Randall - what do you have this for?" I told him that I was a plant geneticist, and that the #3 was my field knife. As he was admiring it with 2 other agents gathered by the car - He said to them and me, "Look a Randall - Why stainless?" I told him that stainless was easy to clean after a day of cutting stalks and root crowns (shovel used for the digging part). It turned out that he had a #1 7 inch standard carbon. It was quite interesting, as it was the first and probably last time that I'll ever get to discuss Randalls, while surrounded by border patrol agents in the middle of a border crossing.

The U.S. Border patrol are good people doing a tough job.

Cheers,

Alan Grombacher
RKS#5531
RKS#5531

#68000 - 10/20/09 04:19 AM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Course [Re: alan_grombacher]
Oldvetnam1 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NJ
Good story Alan. Thanks for sharing.
RKS #5715
SHAG #006

#68001 - 10/20/09 07:57 AM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Course [Re: Oldvetnam1]
7033grip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Haven, Florida
Alan, I agree...great story.

Like a lot of us older guys, I grew up with carbon blades. My first knives were Marbles that belonged to my grandfather. The first stainless knives I ever owned were Swiss Army, then some early Spyderco "Police" models.

The first two Randalls were carbon, so I guess it's what you're used to carrying and sharpening.

Dubie Baxter
RKS #5099

#68002 - 10/20/09 12:55 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Course [Re: 7033grip]
Cabinet_Man Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I originally posted the carbon statement just teasing the Capt after reading his post. I didn't think it would turn into a whole thread discussing blade steel.

Regarding the blades...
I actually have and use both (and like both). A long while back I was under the impression that SS was not possible for me to sharpen. I had lots of trouble getting an edge on cheap knives that I have had in the past. Randall's SS is easy to sharpen though, so no problems. It is more brittle than the 01 tool steel if that is a concern to anyone. The blue-ish patina that develops on the 01 blades is of no concern to me, I actually like it. The small carbon spots really don't bother me either so I am happy with the carbon. It performs better than expected, holds an edge for quite a long time, and is easy to maintain with a stone and wiping off the blades.
~dale

#68003 - 10/20/09 01:15 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Course [Re: Cabinet_Man]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
For the first 20+ years of owning Randall's, I never had a stainless blade except for the #18 which has never been "used". It's been with me for a bunch of chopper and plane rides, but never had to use it. On the other hand, I have #'s 7 and 5 (Brad) that are carbon and have been used hundreds of times over the years. Best users in my experience are the carbon steel blades. The SS may look "pretty" as they do not stain, but I think it's a "red badge of courage" to have a used Randall with a stained carbon steel blade.
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#68004 - 10/20/09 05:23 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Course [Re: pappy19]
Ed_T Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: A'way Down South
Okay. So maybe this wasn't intended to be a thread but I find it very interesting to see what others think about stainless vs carbon blades. In the builds the vote seems to always go stainless, but there are quite a few posts here in support of carbon steel. I would echo those thoughts. Growing up I preferred carbon steel because I was never happy with the edge that I could put on a stainless blade. Also stainless knives never develop a "personality" like carbon knives do. One stainless blade looks pretty much like any other... forever !. The only exception for me was a knife that I wanted to use around salt water. Those had to be stainless so I could use them more than once . I've never quite gotten over my aversion to stainless for users but these days if I buy a knife that I might trade or sell, I look for stainless because that is what the market seems to prefer.
RKS #5102

#68005 - 10/20/09 05:55 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: Ed_T]
Steven Offline
Randall Enthusiast
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
Gee, I was only playing about Carbon being best. I have both and have used both. I do prefer Carbon! But I like Randall's SS as well. Carbon spots don't hurt a thing on a knife. If it is rusting that is one thing. Most of my carbon users have spots and are stained I think they have character. I don't mind as I may be a collector but I'm not a seller. So I look at them and try to recall what I did with the knife to get it to look so cool.

#68006 - 10/20/09 06:19 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Course [Re: Ed_T]
Oldvetnam1 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NJ
I am really liking this thread and while I use carbon all the time if I was going to be around salt water all the time I would probably use stainless. Maybe I need to get a stainless Randall in case that happens.
RKS #5715
SHAG #006

#68007 - 10/20/09 06:50 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Course [Re: Oldvetnam1]
David Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho
I just learned the hard way that my carbon blades, which I love for ease of sharpening and edge holding capability, are like cats around water.

This is what happened after a day out a lake.

So, I have to say carbon in the field and stainless in and around the water.

Edited by David (10/20/09 06:52 PM)

#68008 - 10/20/09 08:44 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Course [Re: David]
PhuBai Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: West Melbourne,Fl
Capt.tought me a long time ago,Stainless is the way to go!
After 50 years in Florida seeing items ruined by Rust,I prefer Stainless.I would have loved to buy every Club knife in SS.I worry about carbon spots or rust on those Carbon blades.How many forum members are looking to buy a nice Randall with rust on it. Just my opinion.
RKS#219
RKCC CM-027
NRA Life Member
US Army Security Agency
Vietnam 66(PhuBai)
Tampa Police
Retired Space Shuttle Tech.

It ain't easy being me !

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod