Nifeboy.com Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#68009 - 10/20/09 09:41 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co * [Re: PhuBai Bill]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Like some here, I have both and use both. Never had a big problem with carbon blades in the woods
up here in the Northeast... except for snow ... which turns into water when it gets into a sheath,
as I learned last winter on a snowshoe hike. So ... in snow, I'll always try to carry a SS blade.
Same for salt water.
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#68010 - 10/21/09 12:25 AM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Course [Re: PhuBai Bill]
tarheel Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
I live in North Carolina, and the humidity sometimes reaches 100% (honestly). You can't go out side unless you have gills. All of my Randalls are stainless, except one. I didn't read the description carefully on that one. I have several on order, and only one is carbon steel, a 12-13. I would gladly pay $100.00 bucks extra for SS if that is what it would be for a piece of SS steel that big.

#68011 - 03/24/10 07:28 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Course [Re: David]
JackRifenbark Offline
Just dropped in

Quote:

I just learned the hard way that my carbon blades, which I love for ease of sharpening and edge holding capability, are like cats around water.

This is what happened after a day out a lake.

So, I have to say carbon in the field and stainless in and around the water.

Are you saying this happened during your one-day trip to the lake or over time after a one-day exposure to the lake environment?

#68012 - 03/27/10 09:02 AM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Course [Re: JackRifenbark]
patrickjames Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Red Bluff California
I have had the same thing happen in one day with a carbon knife.The sheath was wet and when I got home I took the knife out and it was rusty.Still like carbon steel,but use stainless in wet weather.
RKS #5247 NRA Life Member

#68013 - 03/28/10 12:01 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Course [Re: JackRifenbark]
David Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho
Quote:

Quote:

I just learned the hard way that my carbon blades, which I love for ease of sharpening and edge holding capability, are like cats around water.

This is what happened after a day out a lake.

So, I have to say carbon in the field and stainless in and around the water.

Are you saying this happened during your one-day trip to the lake or over time after a one-day exposure to the lake environment?

Jack,

This happened DURING one day on the lake. The knife was in a Combat Master sheath on my hip. We had rough weather and a lot of water came over the bow. This is how the knife looked that night, after we got back to the dock.
SHAG No. 003
NRA Life Member
www.explorerconsulting.com

#68014 - 03/28/10 02:23 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: David]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
David,
Have you used anything on that #5 ... like FLITZ ... to clean it up?
If you did ... any photos?
The experience I had while snowshoeing happened with my #15 in a combat master sheath also!
Not as bad as yours, but I got the spots out with FLITZ and put a coat of REN WAX on it.
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#68015 - 03/28/10 05:23 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: TonyLaPetri]
fabio Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: como italy
i prefer carbon for performance but in italy many people prefer stainless for easy clean. i don't use randall for outdoor. in the future i bought a randall carbon for use in the wood.now i use folding beretta and nordic stromeg.is little time that i know randall and i don't never use.but it's performance is known!
RKS #6017

#68016 - 03/30/10 11:38 AM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: TonyLaPetri]
David Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho
Quote:

David,
Have you used anything on that #5 ... like FLITZ ... to clean it up?
If you did ... any photos?
The experience I had while snowshoeing happened with my #15 in a combat master sheath also!
Not as bad as yours, but I got the spots out with FLITZ and put a coat of REN WAX on it.
Tony

Tony,

I had a hard time finding FLITZ in a store (I know, I could have ordered it from the web), but eventually the guy at the knife counter at Cabela's was nice enough to loan me some. It removed about 95% of the blemishes.

I did not put any REN WAX on it but I think I will. I keep this knife in the back of my car with the rest of the road tools, so it is not really what I would call a "Closet Queen." It's a beater. Nevertheless, I should take better care of it.

All the best,
SHAG No. 003
NRA Life Member
www.explorerconsulting.com

#77938 - 06/21/10 01:20 AM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: David]
Maconace Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
Hey I am glad to see this thread because I have been wondering what the consensus is on this. I have a Randall dive knife that is, of course, Stainless. I haven't used it yet but plan to at some point, and it seems like stainless would be the only logical choice there.

My gamemaster blade is carbon, and I am glad it is, so I can try that and see how I like it. It already has acquired some staining and blueing from cleaning fish and cutting some food items. Pretty cool. I have not sharpened it yet, and have written about this in another post.

Couple of things here-- many say "carbon but if in the wet, use stainless". Seems to me, with a knife that will be the main user, you may never know when you might get wet , or be in the wet. Especially on a multiday trip or camp event. WIll it be that bad when the knife starts getting wet if it is not salt water? What do you guys do, carry two knives, and chose depending on the weather????????????

Why do so many prefer carbon? The look, sharpening ease? Sparking ability? Less brittle? Other things?

Most of my other "user" knives are stainless of one grade or another. They have been excellent and I have had little trouble sharpening them. They perform well and look great.

But I can see how the carbon blade can have it's own appeal.

Is the stainless harder, or just more brittle?

Thanks for all your inputs,
Doug P.

#96364 - 12/09/11 02:42 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: Maconace]
JohnM Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hi all. I'm new to Randall but hooked nonetheless. With input from several of you (Tony, Guido, The Captain, Ken Lunde, and Gary Clinton), I currently own a 5-6 Angier, 3-5 stag, and #28.

I'm considering ordering a couple more knives and was trying to decide between .01 carbon and stainless -- and found this thread from last year.

While I understand the (obvious) benefits of stainless I don't really understand the benefits of carbon. The last poster (Doug) asked some good questions along this line. Input appreciated.

Thanks.
John

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod