Stanback Knives Miles Swelze
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96417 - 12/10/11 10:28 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co * [Re: Leatherman]
Neil Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Is this an April Fool's edition of a knife review?

Judging a Randal #1 All-Purpose Fighting Knife by skewering phone books, chopping wood, using it as a kitchen knife, and even using it to dig holes in the ground?

Surely this has to be a joke-- it is a fighting knife and should be judged on those merits.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

#96418 - 12/10/11 10:40 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: Neil]
JR3 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Northeast USA
Cliff Stamp is an idiot. He was (may still be) an arrogant self proclaimed knife expert on Bladeforums and KNifeforums until he was banned a few years ago. He would chop rocks and bricks with knives until they broke. A real dumbtard.

I would like to add in reference to pappy's post:
I had zero issues getting that stainless 14 sharp, it was staying sharp that was the issue.

Edited by JR3 (12/10/11 10:54 PM)

#96419 - 12/10/11 10:48 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: pappy19]
oldguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Yeehaw Junction
[quote=pappy19]Unless a Randall is totally wacked out, my experience has been using a good steel or the Diamond Edge, will bring back a Randall edge almost immediately. Done it many, many times on game and just using them, whether it be carbon or stainless. If you get them real dull, then, I agree, it is difficult, but after obtaining a Warthog sharpener, it is no problem any longer. Once you try one, you will throw rocks at your Landsky.

Pap [/quote
Pappy, you seem sold on the Warthog. Was there a learning curve using it or was it just a set up and go situation? I've seen pictures of them and was wanting to know if itt leaves any rub marks on the side of your blades? Oldguy

#96431 - 12/11/11 03:42 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: oldguy]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I have posted up in here before, but here's some "new news". Go to my website and check out the Model #21 I just listed. "Not" to buy it. Check out the 3 carbon spots on the trademark side. The knife is brand new. This is simply the nature of Swedish tool steel. It (The #21) has never been used, simply displayed and photographed. (Outrageous orange stag, by the way) Still a full lifetime warranty but I only mention this example as others have talked about their carbon "users" showing no signs of this?? Odd? Every one I use shows signs like this one...not a bad thing, just a fact.
I prefer stainless in 90% of my applicationas. I have and use a dozen or so carbon Randalls and absolutely love them! Stainless, being a Florida boy, has always made sense for me.
Rockwell? I've seen numbers thrown around here but carbon has always acted, performed and sharpened as though it was several points lower than the equivalent stainless product, at least when we're talkin' Randall knives. (Which is what we're doin'...Right?)
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: I've got some new "pickle-projects" to list when time allows)...CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#96432 - 12/11/11 03:57 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Couldn't have said it better myself! Even with really good protectant such as marine tuf-cloth (intended for salt water use) I still get spots or maybe even rust if I use it in snowy conditions or even just a humid day.

Even though it is a dry film protectant/lube it still wears off fast so you are left with a un protected area on the blade and if you put it away for a few hours to enjoy a fire you will have a few spots. As much as I like carbon steel, it sharpens easier, it is tough as nails and is very cool in the aspect that it has been used in Randall knives for 70? years. For me stainless performs just as good, it is just as strong if not stronger and never rusts or stains.

Does anyone even have a 440B Randall that has rusted or stained?

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
I have posted up in here before, but here's some "new news". Go to my website and check out the Model #21 I just listed. "Not" to buy it. Check out the 3 carbon spots on the trademark side. The knife is brand new. This is simply the nature of Swedish tool steel. It (The #21) has never been used, simply displayed and photographed. (Outrageous orange stag, by the way) Still a full lifetime warranty but I only mention this example as others have talked about their carbon "users" showing no signs of this?? Odd? Every one I use shows signs like this one...not a bad thing, just a fact.
I prefer stainless in 90% of my applicationas. I have and use a dozen or so carbon Randalls and absolutely love them! Stainless, being a Florida boy, has always made sense for me.
Rockwell? I've seen numbers thrown around here but carbon has always acted, performed and sharpened as though it was several points lower than the equivalent stainless product, at least when we're talkin' Randall knives. (Which is what we're doin'...Right?)
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: I've got some new "pickle-projects" to list when time allows)...CCS

#96433 - 12/11/11 04:21 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: Leatherman]
JR3 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Northeast USA
I have beat the snot out of my carbon 18, it's been wet/damp on many outings and occasions. The only thing I have done to retard corrosion is give the blade a soak in vinegar for a patina. I have had no rust issues whatsoever. I even used it extensively in Maine (house was on the beach) with zero adverse effects. I must have a special knife. A little bit of rust in the form or small spots does not hinder performance, looks yes, but not performance unless you let your edge rust to dull. In my experience it takes a lot to get to that point. Total neglect for an extended period. Even then you can bring it back pretty fast with the carbon steel with no special sharpening tools. I have used river rock before.

The performance of RMK's forged 01 Steel is nothing short of amazing. In my opinion of course.

#96436 - 12/11/11 04:42 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: JR3]
Knife Enthusiast

JR3 (Do you have a name you go by?)
Everyone has their favorite choice in steel, except "me". I prefer stainless in Florida and for marine / wet condition work...Period. It just makes sense, "BUT" (There's that word again) , I also know how in the hell to sharpen a knife! I do an excellent job...really! Everyone at the huntin' camp. All of my mates, when I was commercial fishing, to the man, put me in charge of the knife sharpening.
If folks don't know how they need to do one of 3 things:
A) Switch to something soft enough to sharpen
B) Learn how to sharpen properly
C) Don't let your stainless get too dull!
Of the "3"...umber 3 makes the most sense...and not just for stainless. I laugh at the guy who brags about skinng out an elk and still being able to shave hairs from his arm. If you want to shave hairs from your arm...buy a Bic Razor! Keep a nice, keen 17-20 degree edge on your blade...keep it tuned up and you won't care (or know) if you're using stainless or carbon.
With every whitetail that I dress, skin, gut, butcher, etc. I touch up my Randall (or Randalls...sometimes I use more than one) several times. "Keeping" it sharp makes it easy to "sharpen".
Also,JR3(?), you mention vinegar. I pickle all of my Randall carbon users (photos below). Pickling, vinegar, etc. retards the rusting, corroding, spotting process to the point that it is almost non-existant. When you mentioned no spotting on your carbon Randalls at first, you didn't mention the vinegar.
Below are 2 of my favorite Randall "pickled" knives. My #3 and #5, both with 5 inch blades...and "KILLER" stag.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Pickled Randalls 003.jpg

------Pickled Randalls 007.jpg

------Pickled Randalls 008.jpg

------Pickled Randalls 012.jpg

------Pickled Randalls 013.jpg

------Pickled Randalls 017.jpg

------Pickled Randalls 018.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#96437 - 12/11/11 04:53 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
JohnM Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Captain, those pickled knives looked great! How long do you leave a knife in vinegar to achieve that effect?

Thanks to all for their input on this thread. Great information.

John

#96438 - 12/11/11 06:08 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: JohnM]
Knife Enthusiast

I use pickle (in the case of the #5 Spanish Olive) juice rather than straight vinegar. I used vinegar once and it caused a bit more rust. The pickle juice does, indeed, rust the blade. Cleaning it afterward removes a good amount of debris and leaves the patina. I have more knives to do and will share that with you as time permits. (It "is" after all huntin' season / new RKCC to work on / Hi-ride project / website / forum attendance, etc., etc., etc.) I have left blades in anywhere from 1 hour to overnight. Start slow and work it! Glad you like it.
It should also be noted that gun bluing is also a rust process and eliminates, or in fact does indeed "retard", rusting of the firearm. Same principle...Mine's just a hair more redneck! Gotta' love it!
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#96439 - 12/11/11 06:17 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: JohnM]
roderickr Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Caracas, Venezuela, south Amer...
Even though I have been sailing for knifetalkforum for a while, I never write, but today I was greatly impressed with the Captain Chris Stanaback knives.
I live in Venezuela in the tropics, I have a small collection of about 25 RMK and many of them are made of carbon steel and gives me a lot of work to keep them spotless (I used them frequently) but the idea of putting them in vinegar not only reduce maintenance but give a great looking apperance. Thank you, Roderick.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod