Nifeboy.com James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96440 - 12/11/11 06:37 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co * [Re: roderickr]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
See there folks...Ya' never know what some redneck, hair-brained idea is gonna' produce! Welcome aboard Roderick! Glad you find this topic, not only interesting, but useful. That's what it's all about.
Thanks, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#96441 - 12/11/11 06:44 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
lemon juice will also work and it works very fast.

#96443 - 12/11/11 08:12 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: Leatherman]
JR3 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Northeast USA
Captain,

I re-read my past post in this thread and realized I got a little condicending, I apologize. With that being said, my name is Matt and I fixed my sig line to reflect that.

You have some great looking Randall's there.

Edited by JR3 (12/11/11 08:24 PM)

#96445 - 12/11/11 08:37 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: roderickr]
Neil Offline
Knife Enthusiast

There's always the trick of placing them in a drawer with a few blocks of Camphor.

This may also be useful but I have not tried it yet:

DuPont™ Teflon™ Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant

A unique dry-film lubricant that leaves a micro-thin, pure Teflon® fluoropolymer coating. This clean, long-lasting coating repels abrasive contaminants, resists corrosion, and reduces friction and squeaks. Excellent for high temperatures.

Goes on wet to penetrate, then sets up with a clean, dry, white micro-thin coatingNon-staining film bonds to most surfaces Lubricates parts to reduce sticking and squeaking Thin coating is excellent for tight tolerances and sliding tracks Helps materials resist chemical contaminants or water Acts as a protective coating for metal, plastic and rubber. Applications:

Use on surfaces requiring a dry, non-oily, non-staining and silicone-free film Perfect for tight tolerance applications where a micro-film lubricant is needed Chains, gears, cables, bearings, valves, shafts, tracks and slides Hinges, locks, fasteners, sliding surfaces, sealers, blades and bulb threads Electrical switches and connectors Mowers, garden equipment, snow blowers, gaskets, seals, rollers, plastic gears, sleeves, ropes, drive belts and bushings Outdoor power equipment, firearms, fishing, cycling, sailing and marine Cutting blades Gaskets, seals, rollers, plastic gears, sleeves, drive belts and bushings Can withstand temperatures up to 480°F (250°C)

Regards, Neil Tucson, WZ

#96450 - 12/11/11 09:55 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: JR3]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Welcome Matt,
The "pickle collection" will continue to grow. I have a #21 and a killer-stag Model #25 that need to get "pickled". They both have killer stag. My ultimate pickle collection will have about 20-30 "users", all in carbon, all with my name on them and either a wrist thong or compass (or both)...to be continued.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#96457 - 12/12/11 09:15 AM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
I prefer carbon for all the reasons mentioned above. After use, I either use a little Flitz to clean up the blade or I let it go for a while and enjoy watching the steel come to life. To me, the maintenance of carbon is half the fun. Gives me another reason to jack around with my knives.
RKS #4233

#96470 - 12/12/11 12:29 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: Neil]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest
Originally Posted By: Neil
Chains, gears, cables, bearings, valves, shafts, tracks and slides Hinges, locks, fasteners, sliding surfaces, sealers, blades and bulb threads Electrical switches and connectors Mowers, garden equipment, snow blowers, gaskets, seals, rollers, plastic gears, sleeves, ropes, drive belts and bushings Outdoor power equipment, firearms, fishing, cycling, sailing and marine Cutting blades Gaskets, seals, rollers, plastic gears, sleeves, drive belts and bushings

What about use on a 1911 .45 (or other firearms)?
RKS #258

#96528 - 12/14/11 09:13 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: Holzinger258]
Neil Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I haven't tried it but it should be good on a .45 ;

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

#96654 - 12/18/11 03:46 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: Neil]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
No one has mentioned this yet..... but when it comes to 60's and early 70's knives, a "separate S" stamp is much more desirable than a carbon blade. Of course the current stamp is not a separate S.

I don't know what the collector market will be in 2051.....just a thought.

#96656 - 12/18/11 04:28 PM Re: Stainless versus Carbon Blades - Randall of Co [Re: tunefink]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Originally Posted By: tunefink
No one has mentioned this yet..... but when it comes to 60's and early 70's knives, a "separate S" stamp is much more desirable than a carbon blade. Of course the current stamp is not a separate S.

I don't know what the collector market will be in 2051.....just a thought.

I often wonder what the demand will be like in the future for Randalls. It seems many of the collectors are older, at least on this board. I do not know how many younger people like myself are into Randall knives, I hope it is more than I think!

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod