Nifeboy.com Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#28844 - 10/31/07 06:03 PM Re: Chief's Great Red Bean Mystery [Re: vklough46]
Ausblade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: A land downunder
Thanks Kevin for running that competition and thanks Chief for donating the prizes, congratulations to Dick Roberts for taking second (14th) prize.

I guess I’ll go for the Amboyna.

Dubie
I very carefully calculated the number of beans in the jar using LWG method; you cannot use this method on knives as they don't pack evenly in to a given space. I would be very happy to count the knives in Guidos' collection but I would have to do it by hand and in person. So if you would like to start collecting for my trip to Italy, I’d be happy to do my part.

LWG = Lucky Wild Guess

#28845 - 10/31/07 07:38 PM Re: Chief's Great Red Bean Mystery [Re: Ausblade]
7033grip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Haven, Florida
Good try, but the only way we would do that is if you promised to visit Guido, then personally deliver a knife to a G.I, or Aussie in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Don't laugh, as you well know, we can get up for this sort of mission.

Dubie Baxter
RKS #5099

#79567 - 08/16/10 11:38 PM Re: Chief's Great Red Bean Mystery [Re: Ausblade]
Ausblade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: A land downunder
Hey remember this competition? I don't know how it ended up in the Bad Ugly and Political, but I'll post it in knife of the week also

My piece of wood became this beautiful Randall 19-5"

Thanks Kevin and Chief, I'm very happy with how my prize turned out.

Edited by Ausblade (08/16/10 11:46 PM)

#79579 - 08/17/10 07:35 AM Re: Chief's Great Red Bean Mystery [Re: Ausblade]
7033grip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Graham,

"In gemology, chatoyancy (pronounced / sh&#601;-TOY-&#601;n-see), or chatoyance, is an optical reflectance effect seen in certain gemstones. Coined from the French "œil de chat," meaning "cat's eye," chatoyancy arises either from the fibrous structure of a material, as in tiger eye quartz, or from fibrous inclusions or cavities within the stone, as in cat's eye chrysoberyl. The effect can be likened to the sheen off a spool of silk: The luminous streak of reflected light is always perpendicular to the direction of the fibres. For a gemstone to show this effect best it must be cut en cabochon, with the fibers or fibrous structures parallel to the base of the finished stone. Faceted stones are less likely to show the effect well."

That's a "gem" of a knife.

Edited by 7033grip (08/17/10 07:38 AM)
RKS #5099

#79580 - 08/17/10 07:42 AM Re: Chief's Great Red Bean Mystery [Re: 7033grip]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Originally Posted By: 7033grip
Graham,

"In gemology, chatoyancy (pronounced / sh&#601;-TOY-&#601;n-see), or chatoyance, is an optical reflectance effect seen in certain gemstones. Coined from the French "œil de chat," meaning "cat's eye," chatoyancy arises either from the fibrous structure of a material, as in tiger eye quartz, or from fibrous inclusions or cavities within the stone, as in cat's eye chrysoberyl. The effect can be likened to the sheen off a spool of silk: The luminous streak of reflected light is always perpendicular to the direction of the fibres. For a gemstone to show this effect best it must be cut en cabochon, with the fibers or fibrous structures parallel to the base of the finished stone. Faceted stones are less likely to show the effect well."

That's a "gem" of a knife.

Dubie,

Those are some awful big words you have in there. You get that out of a dictionary or something???

Michael Mason
RKS #4382

#79581 - 08/17/10 07:45 AM Re: Chief's Great Red Bean Mystery [Re: Ausblade]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.

Beautiful knife Graham, I love that amboyna wood. Thank-you for posting it.

Michael Mason
RKS #4382

Edited by Michael_Mason (08/17/10 12:29 PM)

#79586 - 08/17/10 09:48 AM Re: Chief's Great Red Bean Mystery [Re: Michael_Mason]
7033grip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I put quotes around it Mike...it is from WIKI.
RKS #5099

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Mr_Mod