Clinton Knives Randall Made Knife
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#90371 - 07/22/11 08:34 PM Re: eBay Springfield * [Re: crutchtip]
Rick_Bowles Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
Ratz, that would have made a great trivia question. I truly can't remember... it was either Bo or Gary that told me about the thong nuts back in the mid-80s. I appreciate your skepticism Joe but even with the vast number of folks studying Randall knives, there are still some surprises out there. Be sure and let me know when you check it out.
Rick Bowles RKS #012
www.RBscrim.com
N.K.C.A.
NRA Endowment

#90380 - 07/23/11 09:03 AM Re: eBay Springfield [Re: Rick_Bowles]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

That is pretty interesting Rick. I am curious if there was something lost over time relative to that story. I base most of the following on Gaddis' book, conversations with Gaddis, and collaborations with other collectors like Bob Hunt, who devoted a substantial amount of time researching Springfield Randall's.

The most likley scenario we came up with is Larsen procured a standard type cap nut up in the industrial north and drilled the hole or had it drilled for the thong. I do not beleve Bo Randall made one much less all 1500 or so, particularly without the machine shop equipment to do so.

I will add, when would he have had time to make those for Larsen and why would he do it when Larsen could have used a atandard hex nut like Bo did? Remember, Gaddis stated tang nuts were difficult for Bo to obtain at certain times during the war. That is one more reason it is highly unlikely Bo would be making or procuring a unique style of cap nut to send to Larsen when he was having some trouble getting standard hex nuts himself.

I have seen two Orlando made knives with the Larsen/Springfield style nut, a model 1 and a model 2, so there probably were only a handful made. With Gaddis' input and research done, the general consensus has been is that those nuts and maybe a few more were part of stuff (to include complete Springfields and some parts.material) we know Larsen sent Bo to show what he was using and/or to fullfill a request by Bo for some materials i.e. nuts and brass.

#90381 - 07/23/11 09:49 AM Re: eBay Springfield [Re: crutchtip]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Perhaps we're talking about the wrist thong metal tab (race), located under the nut??
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Mr_Mod